How can we improve Power BI?

Composite models when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular (SSAS)

We really love the new feature of 'Composite Models' in the Power BI July 2018 update! This enables us to join custom lists with DirectQuery sources.

It would also be beneficial if this would also work when connected to SSAS Tabular in DirectQuery.
This would stronlgy improve the enterprise features of Power BI.

1,083 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sander A. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

63 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sean Earp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the opposite perspective as Esteban, but probably for the same reason ;) Since Power BI is all about enabling self-service BI, it may be that a particular team has a small requirement (for example... show the sales for all the customers that attended a sales kickoff meeting at Regional Office X) that isn't important enough for the IT team to implement in a managed SSAS instance (particularly if you are in a large company), and if you can join together some local data (like the list of customers that attended that event), and bring in the official managed sales data... problem solved. If not, people are mashing together this data in Excel and it is REALLY unmanaged.

• Esteban commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to say that I really don't like this idea. I think is a bad idea. If you need add more data sources or join data, you can do it directly in the SSAS project.
    But I don't like the idea of enabled the users add diferents data sources in Power BI. I want to have the control of how the users consume the data. This is central feature in the enterprise world when you need data governance.

• Syedhamjath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's a very good idea, we really need this option. For now, connecting to SSAS live mode disables everything and we have to change the model and it take development effort. Instead end users can import their data set and build report by themselves.

• Chris Klimm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've been waiting for a feature like this for sometime. We've migrated our products from using SAP Business Objects which allows connecting to multiple 'universes' via merged dimensions and lost this important feature. Great to see it's getting some traction.

Note, there is also related idea that already as 373 votes:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/12532173-ssas-get-data-multiple-data-sources

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely with this suggestion. Funny: as soon a a great feature is released (composite models), users immediately want more!!

• Ned Hassoun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, That would be great! We have 300 users that are waiting for this to happen.

• ryo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very good feature for little cubes composite and i looking forward to testing into power bi report server future version. December 2018 maybe ?

• Sebastian Brueck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Avi, looks like we've got the ball rolling. I am really looking forward to this new feature. Keep up the good work. Thanks!

• Avi Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Friends, the Microsoft team has done an amazing job with the Composite Model. This one feature would take it to a while new level. If you are considering voting for this idea, please watch my appeal video here...and then smash that Vote button :-)

https://youtu.be/UbGRpevvZU0

• Sebastian Brueck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The feature would definitely supercharge Power BI as external data could be easily combined with central data warehouses running SSAS tabular...

I would love to see this feature in upcoming releases.

Our local gov dept needs this please please please. Live connection to Power BI datasets.

• Abi Sivasubramanian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I want this too...I want business users to have that flexibility!We cannot import everything into the cube and if someone wants any adhoc reports integrating excel data and cube data...It adds more value and encourages them to use Power BI. I agree with Avi...it's fact!

Connect live to my IT SQL 2016 SSAS Tabular cube with composite modelling is a must and will not only save time and money but will deliver faster results for my key uses. It has to be a must have

• Avi Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Josh BI UK. I would beg to differ. Is Business Users need to combine other data, they are going to do it. Allowing them to do this in Power BI gives the Admins some opportunity to monitor that (possibly using Telemetry in Power BI.com to check which Models have been deployed). Otherwise, users would do this but in Excel or Power Point or some other way. It's impossible to stop that. you know what they say...if you can't beat them... :-)

Power On! / Avi

• Josh_BI_UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually prefer the fact that if a user connects to a SSAS Tabular model, they can't add any other sources. If they could, it would defeat the purpose of a controlled model?

• Brandy Olsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I LOVE the composite models feature! Please release this for full use soon! And as mentioned above....Please add the ability to use composite on all the different data sources including SSRS! The more the better!

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.