How can we improve Power BI?

Composite models when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular (SSAS)

We really love the new feature of 'Composite Models' in the Power BI July 2018 update! This enables us to join custom lists with DirectQuery sources.

It would also be beneficial if this would also work when connected to SSAS Tabular in DirectQuery.
This would stronlgy improve the enterprise features of Power BI.

492 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sander A. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Composite model toghether with SSAS live connection would help us a lot to solve ad hoc requests properly and in a fast way.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eagerly waiting for this feature. It will help us bridge the gap between performance and extendability. Hoping that this feature is part of the next release for Power BI.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for this. We have data sources that for one reason or another cannot be pulled into our tabular model but that users really want mashed up into their reports and dashboards.

• Line commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like this idea to work when connecting to live to tabular models. So it is possible to connect to multiple ssas in one desktop file in the same way as with excel.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make sure this is done on the RS version of PB also. So many features not included in the PB RS version that are in the public release. Stop ignoring on prem customers.

• Sean Earp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ha... I just watched Avi's video and he said the exact thing I did, in a much more engaging way. Great video!

• Sean Earp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the opposite perspective as Esteban, but probably for the same reason ;) Since Power BI is all about enabling self-service BI, it may be that a particular team has a small requirement (for example... show the sales for all the customers that attended a sales kickoff meeting at Regional Office X) that isn't important enough for the IT team to implement in a managed SSAS instance (particularly if you are in a large company), and if you can join together some local data (like the list of customers that attended that event), and bring in the official managed sales data... problem solved. If not, people are mashing together this data in Excel and it is REALLY unmanaged.

• Esteban commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to say that I really don't like this idea. I think is a bad idea. If you need add more data sources or join data, you can do it directly in the SSAS project.
        But I don't like the idea of enabled the users add diferents data sources in Power BI. I want to have the control of how the users consume the data. This is central feature in the enterprise world when you need data governance.

• Syedhamjath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's a very good idea, we really need this option. For now, connecting to SSAS live mode disables everything and we have to change the model and it take development effort. Instead end users can import their data set and build report by themselves.

• Chris Klimm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've been waiting for a feature like this for sometime. We've migrated our products from using SAP Business Objects which allows connecting to multiple 'universes' via merged dimensions and lost this important feature. Great to see it's getting some traction.

Note, there is also related idea that already as 373 votes:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/12532173-ssas-get-data-multiple-data-sources

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely with this suggestion. Funny: as soon a a great feature is released (composite models), users immediately want more!!

• ryo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very good feature for little cubes composite and i looking forward to testing into power bi report server future version. December 2018 maybe ?

• Giovanni Miraglia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

amazing if this will work! Immagine to combine multiple tabular SSAS model! So we can keep every single model light and maintainable and have a super-cube model in powerbi….. hope to test it soon

• Sebastian Brueck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Avi, looks like we've got the ball rolling. I am really looking forward to this new feature. Keep up the good work. Thanks!

• Avi Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Friends, the Microsoft team has done an amazing job with the Composite Model. This one feature would take it to a while new level. If you are considering voting for this idea, please watch my appeal video here...and then smash that Vote button :-)

https://youtu.be/UbGRpevvZU0

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.