How can we improve Power BI?

Allow visual header control per visual

The March 2018 update introduced visual header control at the report level.

Since this is currently an 'all-or-nothing' feature, please evolve this so we can control visual headers on a per visual basis.

298 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

mohammed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The headers must be controlled on a per-visual basis. They create a significant usabiity issue when visually obscuring information below (on mouseover). They are more problematic when an visualization or visual element is selected and the header becomes a static layer that sits in the foreground, until unselected. In usability tests both behaviors created problems for some test subjects.

It should be easy to expand this all-or-nothing functionality to an extra menu item letting you check/uncheck the elements you want in your visual header PER individual Visual.....

• Yixiang.Wang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to have the capability to show or not show a certain column with in a table or matrix in any kind of visual basing on the role level. Make it available. TheRLS in the azure model has the ability hide certain column, do not see why Power bi can not do this
        thank you!!

• LD970 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, we need the ability to only show the 'export data' option in the visual header, and not any of the drill down arrows - PLEASE!

• Parth Tanna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot believe they would introduce this feature as an all or nothing. Pretty useless for majority

• VickyD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes..was excited to see this feature but immediately realized it's not usable given it disables it for everything. Having visual level control is definitely required.

• nirvana_moksh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much needed feature for sure which is very much appreciated but agree with others on this being visual independent and should be like how we can set up "interactions" so that we can control what visual should show what or nothing at all.

I am guessing that the simplest route was to provide the switch at the report level.
        With any luck - the ability to swicth headers off on a per-visual basis is not far off.

Having the choice is a massive step forward, but as others have pointed out, it is quite limiting in other ways.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is specifically helpful for slicers - no one needs to drill down a slicer!

• HenrikSwe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very appreciated update, but of course it need to be visual independant. For example, I have a large report with a lot of visuals, I don't want to clutter it with all the boxes and white space around visuals, and thus I turn them off with this new feature. But now my users can't use drill-down on a matrix table, and the whole point of drill-down is lost. Please fix this by next release! Or just make the boxes around the visuals invisible with a check box, and just let us have the drill-down buttons at least.

• Scott Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Love the idea to hide the header boxes, but still need to be able to export data to Excel! Maybe it could be added to the right-click menu?

One use case I am wanting this for is for text boxes and shape objects especially. Then I can have a shape rectangle that produces a coloured header

• Sean Cupolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A practical application for this would be to be able to leave Go To Next Level of Hierarchy and turn off Expand All down one level. Often, seeing the data in hierarchy is not really whats intended in a visual and leaving the option available just confuses the end user.

• Pedro Innecco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. It was quite short-sighted to add this option as an ALL-OR-NOTHING setting at the report level.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.