How can we improve Power BI?

Change label of Total row in Table or Matrix

On the bottom of a table or matrix, the Total row is labeled as "Total". I need to be able to change that text to something else. For example, if the table rows are labeled as "Americas" and "International", I want the total row to be labeled as "Global".

125 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michael Welter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should also be possible to change labels of subtotals as well. Both totals' and subtotals' labels should be editable. Very important for building financial reports. This is too basic a feature not to be included in power BI.

• Matt Allington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an important idea and needs to be implemented. This is possible in pivot tables in Excel but is currently not possible in a matrix or table in Power BI.

Another example is when doing a distinct count across categories. The word Total is confusing to users as it suggests the numbers should be additive

I second this idea!! would love to have a measure that is (Revenue-COGS) and label it Gross Profit instead of "Total"

• Paul Harrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be helpful if we can edit the labels for 'Total' on a matrix i.e. I have 3 regions across the globe and wish to edit the total to show as 'Global'.

• Bram Kranenburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the bottom of a table or matrix, the Total row is labeled as "Total". I need to be able to change that text to something else. For example, if the table rows are labeled as "Americas" and "International", I want the total row to be labeled as "Global".

Another use case is to change the Total label to "Average" if averaging rather than summing totals.

• Teresa B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be helpful to be able to change the "total" or "subtotal" labels to a custom label even in English. For example the total value is sometimes an average, so having the label "total" is misleading. I want to be able to label it as "overall average".

• Ralf Hanrieder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the german Version of PowerBI the Label of Totals is "Gesamt". When I want to make a table in an international context I want to rename the "Gesamt" in "Total" or "Sub-Total".
    Would be great, If I can do this in a manual way.
    As far as I know now it depends on the PowerBI Version (Language) I have installed?

Best regards

Ralf

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.