How can we improve Power BI?

Latest date as anchor date for relative date slicer

I hope that you add the ability to add a measure as the anchor date for relative date slicer, it'd be really useful if you wanna set the anchor date as the latest date of your data which can change overtime.

151 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alaeddin / Jimmy Medoza shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide the capability to dynamically change the anchor date - I don't want to go and update the anchor date on all my relative date filters every time we switch into a new month.

• audrey abbey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, hard coded date values in a visual/filter is not proper data modeling. Power BI should know better than that.

Yes, there should be an option to set any DEFAULT date for all the date filters. Default Begin, Default End dates. Be that for relative or between or greater than etc... Then let us drop in a dax measure or write a quick measure or something. Relative date slicers that need to always be last 6 months but are last 6 months from LAST week for example. A Between Slicer that defaults to a 12 month period, but always goes to the last day of two months prior and shows that 12 month period and lets the user adjust it. Many users want to start with the last 6 months or 12 month period, but then be allowed to change it. Currently there is no way to do this.

Anchor date was a step in the right direction, but as John commented, it's useless in so many use cases if it's not dynamic. The ability this feature was *supposed* to add was to enable authors to set the latest date used by the slicer to the latest date present in the data. The anchor date feature does not currently do this.

Or enable DAX code to set the anchor date that I could type right in the anchor date field: =lastdate('Date') or something along those lines.

• databash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the Anchor Date that's hidden in the Format section of the Slicer visual needs to be exposed to the users. End users must be able to select Anchor Date and see last 12 months, last 2 years etc...

• Wildmight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that being able to change the anchor date via slicer would be amazing and increase development speed.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea the anchor date feature is cool, but basically useless if it's not dynamic. No client I've ever worked with would want to manually adjust the anchor date every time they use Power BI. In fact most clients just don't understand that the Visualizations pane exists at all.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.