How can we improve Power BI?

Export to PowerPoint with individual image elements

Currently, the Export to PowerPoint feature exports one image file per report. Update the Export to PowerPoint feature to support exporting an image per report visual instead.

410 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminSirui Sun (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nadia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or at least have the function to export visuals to Excel or PowerPoint so you can select what you want only ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the key arguments to sell PBI instead of competitors is integration with the Office environment. The intercation with the Office tools must be flexible and out of the box!

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any official word back on if this function is just dead to us? Should we abandon hope?

• Jennifer McCullough commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company began using PowerBI recently and I was not able to experience this capability. But as per previous comments, it seems like this was an export with objects/tiles as individual images when exported to PowerPoint. Extremely disappointing that this functionality has been removed. There isn't much reason to export to PowerPoint if the user can't control which images they present, or separate to provide focus. Desperately need this functionality incorporated.

• Rachid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really struggling to understand why it was decided to scrap this feature, in the first place.
        Exporting to PowerPoint (as individual elements) was one of the USP's for us to use Power BI over any other BI solution.

Unfortunately, this is not the case any more and we will have to look into other solutions.
        If existing features like this get scrapped without any good reason, who knows what's next?

• Ike M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like that it comes as a whole image. I just beef up my page size in BI and I get really sharp image exported that looks good on ultra hd screens. However, I would prefer the export functionality to actually export everything as vectors and charts to PPT so I could post edit graphs, text etc. and even data in PPT!

• Asya Sali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since this feature was removed, the quality of the exported file dropped significantly. There is also an issue with the maps which do not expand to the level as they do in the browser. Furthermore, the file size is twice as large compared to the individual image output.

Complètement nul la capture d'ecran. Pas besoin d'un lien pour ça, autant le faire soi-même. Le seul intérêt d'un export est d'avoir chaque visualisation indépendante.... Incompréhensible.

• Asya Sali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, we are paying for full Power BI functionality and now this feature has been removed. It is really painful when we do not have the option to delete certain charts inside PowerPoint if there is no data in them or we just do not want to show them particularly...

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any comment if there are future plans to bring back this functionality? It's been about two months at this point.

Deifinetly need the separate objects export to Powerpoint back.
        Current approach is very painful, particularly wanting to keep quality image.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of these comments. This change has created a significant increase in the amount of time it takes for my team to create powerpoint slides using a different aspect ratio.

• John Stanley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A good dashboard or BI Report does not necessarily translate to a good PowerPoint slide. Consistent with the other comments, the separate tiles was much easier to manipulate and present in PowerPoint. In current form, there's no reason to export from BI to PowerPoint... we're just snipping everything now with the related loss of resolution. While I understand this was a "preview" feature, I'm not sure why functionality would be removed. A user could always "group" the elements in PP if they need that for some reason. It would be helpful to have this feature reinstated.

The previous functionality with individual visuals and text boxes in the export to power point was the preferred solution for my company. The current solution (everything in one image) will create more work using a snipping tool to edit the slides as needed for monthly financial reports. Having the option to switch between individual visuals in the export or the full slide in the export would be ideal.

• Peter Pazmany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be better to have the objects separated (especially 4:3 and 16:9 fixed) but We already experienced issues with separate objects when we had a report containing dozen single lines and weird shapes. In PBI everything was pixelperfect aligned but in the export everything was misaligned, duplicated, etc.. With current solution this issue is fixed but the screen quality is not so good as it was before.

• Samantha Betlej commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the previous functionality, where each visual was exported as an independent image and each text box as an individual text box, was the preferred solution, and allowed the ability to easily delete, move, and manipulate images on ppt slides.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.