How can we improve Power BI?

Lock placement of tables in relationships pane

The ability to 'lock' where tables are manually placed on the relationships pane would be very helpful. We have created a data model with security tables, secured dimensions, unsecured dimensions, and secured fact tables. When I lay out the tables in a specific way, the design is far more understandable than when placement is auto-generated. A 'lock' type of functionality to 'freeze' the table layout would be very helpful because I can more easily locate/verify (a) specific types of tables, (b) bidirectional relationships where they should be (and shouldn't be), and (c) relationship directions are accurate.

274 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Melissa Coates shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jsp.almeida1983 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admin, please try to expedite it because it is really a pain in the ass every time we have to organize all over again. I assure to you this is pretty bad and take an important time frame from us!!!

• Fred Kaffenberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, this roadmap item looks related...
        July – September ’18 – Public Preview Power BI Desktop • Model diagram and navigation – An improved modeling experience that scales to large and complex data models with many tables, calculations, and other objects.
        http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/9/5/F955B25B-A706-4962-9BAC-0DD7F054EFE9/BusinessApps_ReleaseNotes_v18.1.2.pdf

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! This is super-frustrating and time consuming to have to re-arrange all of my tables every time I need to look at or modify the schema!

• Torben Kirk Wolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When creating large models, keeping track of the facts and dimensions is almost a discipline in itself. If the diagram gets scrambled (as I have just experienced on a large model), it takes a lot of effort to recreate it. Please look into fixing this issue. This is a core functionality, which is not stable. This doesn't fly well when I have to try to convince management to implement Power BI on a grand scale in the organisation - the program simply doesn't seem mature enough to be used in production!

That is good news Amir. At the moment my workaround for this is to take a screenshot of my good layout, print it off and write on the paper(!) - otherwise when it resets I'm lost in a jungle of relationships. I'm getting really desperate for a fix (that sounds all wrong :p)

• Amir Netz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK folks. We hear you and we have work on going to dramatically improve the modeling diagram experience. This will also include making sure that the tables don't move on you by themselves.

• bullius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Under review"?! This is clearly a issue that should be sorted asap, not an idea that could be implemented at some point. It is something wrong with the core functionality of the relationships view. See the link to the issue below that was posted in November 2017. Really annoying.

• Pat@Energetics commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wasted another two hours reformatting the relationship view after addition of a new table triggered an autoformat. Please give us the option to lock this view down. An update on any progress since 1 Feb would be appreciated, as it doesn't appear to be resolved in the March update.

• David Cresp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a really major bug currently in Power BI and hopefully will get a solution soon. The diagrams resetting themselves is the only something that recently started to occur and is really frustrating. Please MS fix this soon.

• Peggy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very frustrating when you have more than 5 facts and 30 some dimensions...it literally takes me an hour to redo it every time it changes.

• fabiaN odU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is slowly doing my head in, can this be given some attention? I like my dimensions at the top and my fact tables at the bottom and I want that to ALWAYS stay the way i left it. Thank you.

Very frustrating to spend time arranging tables... and to find work undone next time you visit.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.