How can we improve Power BI?

Conditional Formatting for Text

It would be great to conditional format a table and/or a matrix based on the cell text, not only numbers

1,141 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • B Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about just having conditional formatting NOT based on a number field but just on the text (i.e., categorical value).

• Jed Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By date comparisons, as well. Example - if 14 days past 'today', highlight as red. This would be highly valuable for time sensitive charts and data tables - chasing AR, etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be something basic. I appreciate that you guys have added formatting by another numeric field. But because I'm a human and not a computer it's user to read words than numbers.

All of my tables have status columns, sometimes they're boolean true/false, sometimes they're text. EmployeeStatus: Active/Leave/Retired. VehicleStatus: Current/Sold. Insurance&Tax: Valid/Expired etc....

Now, I can go and add some more helper columns to covert each category into a number that can be recognized for conditional formatting (as if I haven't added enough helper columns already for Power BI workarounds) but shouldn't it be as simple as
        Select column to format:
        Format values that [!equal/!contain/!begin with] "Expired" colour "Red"
        This is bonkers for a tool at this level

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to conditionally format based on certain text values entered in as a formula like ="Davey Jones". This would be useful, thanks.

I would like to be able to change the font type and also the cell borders for an entire row (or conceivably column) based on the value of a dimension that is being displayed in the table/matrix. This would allow me to create formatted financial reports more easily.

I create dynamically calculated totals / subtotals that are based on the dimension values (using DAX SWITCH logic) -- and I would like the ability to define unique total/subtotal look and feel for any given row(dimension). I want the same ability to define a look and feel for my dynamically defined total/subtotals as I can do with the pivoted view totals/subtotals.

• Maria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

When can we expect to be able to apply conditional formatting to text fields, based on the actual text, rather than a numeric value?
        Text fields are not always linked to a numeric value.
        It's a basic Excel feature and frustrating not to have it in Power BI

• Sophie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Amanda, how is it going with the feature to conditionally format based on text input?

Hi, What is the status of this feature? When are you planning to release this? Thanks :)

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great to be able to colour a text column based on the text it contains. E.g. Simple Yes/No column which you could colour "Yes" in green and "No" in red.

The conditional formatting options feel quite limiting in comparison to Excel's options. My clients are still blown away by all the amazing features they have available on their reports but baffled by the fact that I have to provide some of the reports in an Excel document because Power BI is not capable of displaying the information in the way they wish to see it.

Formatting based upon text value comparisons would be very desired. Any ideas on when this might be implemented?

It would be great to have conditional formatting based on text. For example, highlight (in colour) all product names, which contain a certain word

This is great. It would be awesome if "data bars" conditional formatting option is made available for text

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.