How can we improve Power BI?

Bookmark "Toggle" - Retain Slicer Selection

If you have 2 visualizations that you are toggling through a Bookmark image, and have slicers on your page, if you change a slicer value and click on the image to toggle to a different viz, the slicers value will not be retained. For instance, if I select Canada in a slicer, click on the toggle, the slicer will change back to whatever was saved in the bookmark. It would be nice to have an option to "retain" the current selections. This would allow a user to make different selections in the slicer, and then when the click on the toggle button, it would retain those values instead of using the slicer value when the bookmark was saved.

287 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not useful to most users. We need bookmarking on the service for users who only have read access to reports.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree! sometimes slicers should be retained but sometimes should be changed by bookmarks. Both scenarios should be possible though.

• E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if an update could be given on this work, please? Any estimated time for the delivery?

• Joel Faltermeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with Scott Brooker below and other comments regarding more granular control. Please allow a 3rd option.

The bookmark options should be a) save all filters and slicers, b) save only filters but not slicers, c) do not save any filters and slicers. In addition to the saving of the visual properties.

• Scott Brooker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Amanda, what you propose above will be an improvement but won't get us the whole way there. Consider the common scenario where the report create sets a visual/page/report level filter in the filters panel and applies a bookmark for ease of use for a user of the report. The general use case would be that once the report is released to an app, the user would not be able to modify those filters. So what we need is an ability for the bookmarks to save in the bookmark the filters set in the filters panel, but not those selected in the slicers panel. The bookmark options should be a) save all filters and slicers, b) save only filters but not slicers, c) do not save any filters and slicers. In addition to the saving of the visual properties. Thanks.

• Sarah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bookmark retains filter pretty well in desktop app but not on web or mobile.

• Briton Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SO happy to see this is started. Bookmarks are awesome but tricky to use to swap visuals if slicers are being reset

• Richard Tompsett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can be achieved with manual filter controls through the javascript API but I agree, the ability to set the slicer level to report would be a huge advantage and I can't see it being that big a job with the filter settings already accepting the state levels

If this was controllable on a more granular choice by allowing which visuals are affected by the bookmark, that would allow a layering of bookmark effect. For example. You could have 1 series of bookmarks that changes the campaign filter along with hiding and showing the relevant visuals, then another series of bookmarks that take you to more granular choices like months, or switches some other set of visuals in and out. I am thinking of the same implementation as how the current 'visual interactions' behaviour works, however with toggles for hiding, filtering, changing visual properties (drill through/sorting).

By allowing visuals in this way it could make the experience more 'app' like.

• PDB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please include the DRILLTHROUGH filter in the development. Thanks!

Hi Amanda,
        Can you please let us know a tentative date for this idea to be implemented?

Thanks,
        Srikanth

• camillem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I find this to be particularly important when trying to use the bookmarks for a presentation or to share a story without changing the underlying functionality of the report.

• TJ Doherty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to allow users to retain the ability to reset Report Level filters across all pages. Right now, my bookmarks retain the original report level filter. This is no good if I'm using the bookmark as a menu navigation. When I click on the bookmark, it shows the original Report Level filter when the bookmark was created, not what I've reset it to in the report. As I page across my report using the page tabs, the new Report Level filter is set, but not when I use the bookmark navigation.

And when we export the report to power point, can we retain the bookmark selected filters?

• Thomas Bächinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be very helpful to control if the bookmark applies to the different filter levels (report, page, visual)

• JL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

totally agree! please add this as soon as possible ! thanx.

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree 100%. The bookmark feature is a game changer for our organisation. This small change would make Qlik all but a distant memory for our users!

• Greg Sharrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be implemented. If a user interacts with the visual it should stay in the state it is during the session. There needs to be something like "allow interaction" setting on a bookmark.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.