How can we improve Power BI?

Personalized Bookmarks

The current bookmarking feature requires report creators to define bookmarks. Ideally, users would be able to save personalized bookmarks (similar to web browser) in addition to the author's pre-defined bookmarks.

For example, I might have a project management report or sales by stores. Each user of the report may have their own set of projects or stores that they want to quickly navigate between. These are relevant to the current users and not other users of the reports.

239 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scott Hietpas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tormod Aarlott Digre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea!
        I just can't think of a way for it to work with a report that have frequent updates. Bookmarks would quickly become obsolete, wouldn't they?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just tried to do my first model using Bookmarks

I had an issue with the Selection Pane, where the amount of text boxes, shapes, slicers, text boxes etc was not limitless

• Kevin H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just started trying bookmarks, and I was surprised to find that report creators must set up the bookmarks!

I second this, too. End users of the Power BI Service should be able to create their own bookmarks of a given report that I've published. (And share the bookmarks they create!)

As currently implemented, in order to meet the varying needs of many report consumers, bookmarks at least allow me to avoid creating and publishing many customized/specialized reports.

However, I support a lot of end users, and it would be much more efficient for them to do the bookmarking themselves!

Definitely need to allow users to control their own bookmarks in the BI Service (browser based). We have employees who have to choose their filters each time they go into the browser, instead of setting them up once and saving as a bookmark.

Must have this for the users. They are the ones who want to customize for themselves.

• ggorham2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not very useful for Published reports. Many use cases is for when you publish a report for the business organization like a Sales Performance report. Depending who you are in the Hierarchy of sales reps you likely are looking for your performance and have to apply the same filters each time you go into the reports. It would be useful to allow a user the ability to apply bookmark for each user.

• Travis Kale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely need this feature for users who don't own report. Would make the app approach (content pack) way more powerful.

• PDB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I have actually included a Main Menu with bookmarks to every report to make navigation simple. However things will get cluttered once users start adding their own...

Bookmark feature is nice, but it seems to only for one page. If there are multiple pages in a report where the user would like to save the filters throughout the report, they would have to set up multiple bookmarks.

What would be nice is that they can set the filters on all pages in the report and save it as a single bookmark.

• TK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would make Power BI so much more flexible for the users, if this will be implemented.

This is really an important feature! Personalized bookmarks are essential! Otherwise they are only good for storytelling (if everyone's story is the same...)

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this motion. Our users liked the ability in Tableau to filter a dashboard how they wanted and then save that view. I was hoping the feature would have the capability for end users to create their own bookmarks as it is one of their biggest complaints about Power BI.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.