How can we improve Power BI?

Tooltip for Matrix visual (and others)

For the Matrix and the Table Visuals (and others), tooltips simply show the value of the item over which the Pointer hovers. The behaviour of the tooltips differs from PBI Desktop to Browser in Terms of Duration of being shown and the truncation of longer texts.

Other visuals (e.g. bar chart) have a customizable tooltip that can be filled by a special field well. Please add the same functionality to table and Matrix visuals!

179 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kerem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am working for 2-3 weeks and the only thing I recently do voting the ideas for the functions which are crucial for us. This is one of them as well.

• David Favaloro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same problem as Jorge trying to replicate a Tableau report, but finding it difficult to use Tooltips in the same way on a Matrix viz. Please make this available!

• Jorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are trying to decommission a Tableau report and replace it with PowerBI but can't until the users get the same level of tool tip information on the Table/Matrix visual that they get in Tableau.

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tooltips are a great idea - but it needs to be an option with every visual - including things like slicers. In some cases I want to use tooltips to show additional information (like in the examples on the Microsoft site), but in other cases I want to use tooltips to give the user help information.

• vik dex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

upvote for this. tooltips should be everywhere available. in MATRIX tables, it would be great to show the name of a customer on hovering the cust number.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tooltip should be present almost everywhere and be allowed to be formulated. Report Builder has implemented this so nicely. Please use ideas from Report Builder.

• Cindi Lane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to have tooltips available for matrices and slicers to display additional variable information. For example, a slicer may include a user name, but I would also like to display the employee id. However, concatenating these values interferes with the slicer selection. Additionally, I would like to hover over a field in the matrix and display addition information about that variable row.

• Marc-Olivier Bergeron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For a given field in tables and matrix, we could use the 'description' input of its properties to serve as tooltip when one hovers column headers

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, it would be great to have a tooltip for editing lengthy and complex measures with many variables, so that when you hover over the cell, it shows the locally calculated values for each variable in the measure.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.