How can we improve Power BI?

Tooltip for matrix & table visual

For the Matrix and the Table Visuals (and others), tooltips simply show the value of the item over which the Pointer hovers. The behaviour of the tooltips differs from PBI Desktop to Browser in Terms of Duration of being shown and the truncation of longer texts.

Other visuals (e.g. bar chart) have a customizable tooltip that can be filled by a special field well. Please add the same functionality to table and Matrix visuals!

276 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michiel Rozema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A small suggestion that would improve the tooltip: as it is now, a (report) tooltip is shown on top of the current row in a table or matrix visual, rendering data in that row invisible. Moving the tooltip down with just some pixels would enable the user to both see the tooltip and the results in the visual itself.

• Emmanuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to disable the tooltip on matrix and table ?
        This is always displayed and make the navigation painfull when viewing report in the iPad app.

• Christian Stork commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think this feature is complete yet, because once I enable Tooltip for a Matrix visual it does not offer to set fields for the tooltip but only allows for a tooltip page or the default tooltips.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone else experiencing that this works in Desktop but NOT in BI Service? On Matrix and Tables.

• Scott Thornburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's lots of value in table cell-level tooltips as others noted below (and even more if we have the full report page tooptip feature added in March).

I'd also like to have the ability to add tooltips to table column headers for definitions and notes. RIght now the mouseover that shows the same value as the column header has no value. As Thomas noted below, the Field description could work for this, but it would be even better to additionally allow a data value as well. His suggestion of table options for the column header tooltip is excellent.

• Kerem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am working for 2-3 weeks and the only thing I recently do voting the ideas for the functions which are crucial for us. This is one of them as well.

• David Favaloro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same problem as Jorge trying to replicate a Tableau report, but finding it difficult to use Tooltips in the same way on a Matrix viz. Please make this available!

• Jorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are trying to decommission a Tableau report and replace it with PowerBI but can't until the users get the same level of tool tip information on the Table/Matrix visual that they get in Tableau.

• Thomas Rask Thomsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree on this one!

We have several tables with 10-20 measures/KPI's in columns (MTD TY, MTD LY, ROM (rest of month), gap, YTD, YTD LY etc. etc.), and it is difficult for a user (non-financial employee) to understand what is meant by the different measures/abbreviations.

The ideal solution would be to add a description of the measure when making the measure (which is already possible today by right clicking on the measure and add a description), and then be able to show this text description as hover/mouse-over in the tables. I imagine a table or measure option where we could be able to click "Show Description", "Show Hover text" or "Show tooltips".

Please prioritize this!

• WinnieF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it will the best if have this function add as i put the url image in the table, it show me the huge long "data:imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxx" when the pointer point to the field.

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tooltips are a great idea - but it needs to be an option with every visual - including things like slicers. In some cases I want to use tooltips to show additional information (like in the examples on the Microsoft site), but in other cases I want to use tooltips to give the user help information.

• manoj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this being taken up? We have more than 60+ columns in one single table to be displayed. If we have tool tip, we can condense the column to huge extent.

Please give us an update.

• Mitchell Marois commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great for a heatmap created in a table so the user could hover over the red or green cells and get some quick information about the data behind that cell. For instance, we have a matrix of sales % of forecast by customer and brand and it would be awesome to hover over and see the sales and other metrics through the report page tooltip feature that was just added!

• vik dex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

upvote for this. tooltips should be everywhere available. in MATRIX tables, it would be great to show the name of a customer on hovering the cust number.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.