How can we improve Power BI?

Drill through that considers slicer/filter context of a parent visual

The current drill through capability does not appear to consider an active filter/slicer value for a visual unless the dimension being filtered is included in the parent visual. I think it would be helpful if it did.

For example; a table of customers subject to a slicer for specific stores should pass on both the customer and store values if these dimensions are both listed as drill through filters.

886 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brett Nodello shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I 'keep all filters' on report but slicer value did not pass through drill . IF any one has idea please share. I am trying to pass slicer selection and scatter plot selection to drill through. plot selection is passing but not Slicer.

Appropriate all help

I'm working with 'Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server)'. I can't seem to find any updates for this to install to get this latest functionality. Is it available on Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server)'?

Hi, is this functionality available for power bi report server version? I'm using March 2018 power bi desktop for report server and It doesn't allow to pass multiple parameters to a second report

• James Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately need this function for reporting for our clients! Please push it up the priority list!

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My scenario: The Source page has a drillthrough of Manager name. The Target (hidden page) has visuals as well as a Manager name Slicer. The desired experience is that all original entries of the Manager Slicer in the Target remain with the drillthrough value filtered on. Essentially, as if the user started on the Target report page where there is a full list of names in a Slicer and the user clicked a single Slicer entry to filter the report. The other entries remain in the Slicer so as to be able to select a different person after review.

Currently, the only Slicer value to remain is what was passed in as a result of the drillthrough - others are cleared (filtered out) from the Slicer. The user must "go back" to the original report page, select another person and drillthrough to see the new results.

• Chris Tift commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an intuitively how a drill through function should work. The linked report should tie out to the amount the user came from or else the resulting report is not giving meaningful information.

• bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical functionality, otherwise drill through filter has very little use.
        I would expect the slicer on the destination page to sync with the drill through filter if its the same field.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical functionality that needs to be addressed ASAP. The Sync Slicers feature doesn't solve the problem because users can arrive at the details page from MANY different pages where the same metric appears. So, syncing the details page slicer with a slicer from only 1 page is ineffective.

• jawad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Must have in order to meet current standards of reporting tools. The presence/lack of this feature could determine which reporting tool an organization wishes to adapt.

• Aaron Manley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Power BI tool is so strong in many areas, that the inability to pass through filters, slicers, etc. via drillthrough is a major flaw of the program. The data should be retained when a user has a page filtered, then decides to drillthrough with those filters.

Overall, thank you for all you guys do. This is a great tool, and I hope you implement this change soon.

• Prashant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed and voted. This is important feature otherwise users get confused because they can't see in detail page whatever they drilled thru from main visualization.

• mathew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In relation to Slicers and Filters, across pages we need something like this

a top line banner, that informs there are filters to each filed being filtered. Qlik has this with bells on, you can click on this small summary and you get a slicer (like in excel), that shows what is values are filtered, shows what has data and what does not, all based on cross filters applying

• Joel Faltermeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Anonymous, yes the Sync Slicers feature is a vast improvement to navigating between pages and being able to have the desired user experience to sync (or not sync) specific slicers on specific pages. Thank you Power BI team indeed for that.

However, the pass-through of visual/page filters ability is needed for navigation, and as relevant to this idea the Drillthrough feature needs to be flexible to pass ANY/ALL context including slicers, visual filters, and any other data points.

For example, if I am looking at a visual showing decile groups in 10% intervals, and want to "drill through" to a different view, I want to be able to pass more than just the % interval filter. I want to be able choose what specific data I want to pass through from that visual. Let's say the counts in that chart bar are representative of student courses, and I want to drillthrough to another page filtering the context of students, courses, and 20-30% group. In addition to that ability, going back to the "pass other visual filter context as well", if a visual is selected that cross filters from 30 down to 20, that filter context should ALSO pass through so only 20 students are shown.

Please fix drillthrough. Other BI tools drillthrough functionalities are much more flexible and work this way. It is very important to fix this in order for Drillthrough to be a truly useable and powerful feature.

I agree the additional pass-through of visual/page filters is needed. But adding the Sync Slicers feature in the Feb '18 update has already greatly improved some of my reports. My client was becoming frustrated with the details page of their report being out of sync with the visualization/slicer page, and now it is fixed! Thank you Power BI team for incorporating community input!

• Joel Faltermeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ Tobias Owen, the February update addresses it with Sync Slicers for slicer filters, but not visual filters or filters applied from the Filters Pane such as visual filters or page level filters.

Slicer Sync helps, but does not address the real need which is "I am filtering data on a page with a combination of slicers, visual filters, and filters pane, and want to be able to drillthrough to a filtered dataset of what I am seeing after those filters are applied"

This is what Drillthrough SHOULD be in my opinion. "Complete ability to drillthrough WITH ANY/ALL FILTER CONTEXT. Ability to customize what filter types (eg slicers, visual filters, Page Level, Visual Level, and/or what specific field context is passed through."

• Tobias Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

February 2018 update may address this with the ability to sync slicers with drill-through tabs.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.