How can we improve Power BI?

Python Script in Power BI

It's great that Power BI already has the capability to run R scripts for data transformation. It would be even better if we could run Python script.

332 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kenneth Singh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My hope that this will happen in the near future rises as Python gets implemented into SQL Server 2017 now, using the same techniques as used for R integration:

"The addition of Python builds on the foundation laid for R Services in SQL Server 2016 and extends that mechanism to include Python support for in-database analytics and machine learning. We are renaming R Services to Machine Learning Services, and R and Python are two options under this feature."

according to https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2017/04/19/python-in-sql-server-2017-enhanced-in-database-machine-learning/

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Considering that Python is the goto language for prototyping and developing quick ML algorithms, having Python support in PowerBI will be an immense step forward from doing DataViz using Python's own packages (which are great but require complex code to enable interactive visual analysis). Please consider this feature request. It'll be a huge New Year's present :). No rush!

• Jasper Buutfeld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was at Microsoft last week and they told me they were working on it. So probably it is somewhere on their roadmap, but I imagine it's a pretty big thing to implement.

• Ivo Leist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As long Power BI does not support Python I'll stick to Tableau - sorry Microsoft ;P

• Ron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is Microsoft going to do regarding the python question? Yes, no maybe?

• Aron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would provide a good platform for presenting Reports with Data Science Algorithms behind the Scene.
        Integrating R has been a nice step, Python would attract the rest of the Data Scientists.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.