How can we improve Power BI?

Using Custom Authentication (Form) for Power BI Server

At the moment I can't save a pbix on the server, if the server is configured with a custom authentication (form). Even if it would be possible the live connection to ssas would not work because there would be no AD User behind the authentication. Additionally it would be necessary to define the ssas connection with a different (fixed) user.

15 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dominik ImarkDominik Imark shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Riccardo MutiAdminRiccardo Muti (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) responded  · 

Thanks for your feedback. The June 2017 release of Power BI Report Server does work with custom authentication extensions (the May 2017 Preview didn’t). Although Power BI Desktop doesn’t support this authentication method, you can save your *.pbix file to local disk and then upload it to the Report Server web portal.

(On this topic, while we support SQL Server Reporting Services-based custom authentication/authorization extensions today, we hope to invest in OpenID Connect/OAuth in future as a more modern approach to extensible authentication/authorization.)

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.