How can we improve Power BI?

Allow default filtering based on current user

It would be nice, even if not essential, to allow a report to slice by default to the current user's data. For instance, I might envision:

- A dimUser table that can slice by default to the USERNAME() output
- A dimGeo table that can slice by default to the city/state/country of the session's IP address
- ...and so forth

123 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TL shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nathan Collins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have different pieces of information in a report that are only relavant to certain users. Our booksmarks allow us to use certain visuals . However, we'd like it if we could base this visual view on the username of he individual as opposed to them needing to select it (as many times the viewer does not initially know what to select to see "their" visual.

• Anonynous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I created a report were one graph shows information about multiple instructors. I want to show them the result, but don't want anyone see others result. How can I do that

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I have multiple reports with each reports having two slicers named as the category & Items and all the tables in the data model has the column named as Category. Each report has been bookmarked and linked to a button so that the user can Navigate between the reports.

Currently, I am applying RLS on each report by creating a role for each category. The issue is that I have set up some default value in each slicer in report & created a bookmark for that and linked that to the Buttons.

After applying the RLS to all reports, my both slicers present in each report has the same default value selected as before. My requirement is that Category slicer should have the value selected dependent on the Category Role.

For example, If I have a role Named as category 1, then the Category slicer should have the value selected as Category 1 in all Bookmarked page, If I have a role as category 1, then the category slicer should have the value selected as category 2 in all bookmarked pages.

Please implement this feature ASAP.

• Chad T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential for any orgs using row-level security and any sort of slicers. Pretty inelegant for users to initially log into a report with blank data, then having to user the slicer to unlock what they have permissions to see.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately need!!! We don't want to use security because we want to allow users to see all reports. But instead default to their view to avoid having to drilldown into the reports every time.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I would like to see this feature available in the mobile app as well. A sort of "default state" or "favorite" view specific to the current user, that they can configure and save. Then open back up later in as few screen clicks as possible.

• Julie Hills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very much needed!

One example of what we need is to look up the current user's office and set the office slicer to default to that office. We do not want to restrict the user from selecting other offices. Just save them the clicks of having to select their own office every time they go into the report.

Add a section under formatting for a slicer and allow an measure or DAX code to be entered.

• RG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this feature for personalized Reports and Dashboards!

• TL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(This would be entirely distinct from security, since it wouldn't *hide* non-matching rows, but just slice to the matching ones for tables on which it's enabled.)

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.