How can we improve Power BI?

Embed Power BI Report Server reports into extranet apps

Allow Embedding of Power BI Report Server Reports for Extranet Apps. Because of our clients needs data cannot leave our servers and be put on the cloud. Our existing SSRS reports are displayed using a report viewer object, however this will not work for PBIX. We need to ability to embed PBIX and display it externally. Is this going to be possible with Power BI report Server?

233 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • renaud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, any news on this? It is totally blocking our pbi server adoption and thinking looking other tech

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your parenthetical kills us. We do not want to expose our report server to the client browser. Surely there is a better way?

• Dustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also be interested to hear more about when this might be released. Also, when the next release of Report Server will be out. I thought I saw a road map that said it would be updated 4 times a year, so I'm thinking it should be soon since we are already close to end of Q1

Development team is looking at alternative solutions to Power BI because this feature does not exist yet...

Hope it arrives before they go too far down the other path.

• Scott Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi @Riccardo Muti,
        We are implementing this now so would be very interested in the user authentication piece that you mention.

In the meantime as a workaround, we are thinking to install Report Server on our database server for our internet site (already in the DMZ). Then use iframe in sharepoint to make the report accessible

Does that sound feasible?

• M. Irfan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear @Riccardo Muti,
        Any update on custom Authentication for embedding dashboard to custom application from on-premises PBIRS?
        If this feature is still late then can we automate Integrated Windows Authentication i.e. don't show login dialog to user when display report in my custom application but automate logic through code?

What is the timeline for releasing a full featured ReportViewer for Power BI Report Server?

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any plans to provide oauth support to Power BI Report Server? The scenario here is embedding content in to other apps, ideally we could pass a token with permission to Power BI Report Server from the embedding application.

• Martin Larsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today we are using SharePoint as a internet facing portal and integrating reports into the portal. Different customers view the reports which gets filtered by company. The SharePoint site is also requiring client side certificates which resides on the users smart card. That is the base of our authentication and requires some custom authentication mekanism.
        Today we have 20 reports in the portal and approximately 200 users devided into 25 customers. The customers can se each others data on a high level but on a lower level the data needs to be filtered so only customers see their own data.
        We would like to get rid of SharePoint and create a lightweight custom ASP.Net site with custom authentication using client certificates and simple user management. To embed the report we would like to either use iFrames with the ability to filter reports but it would be even better to be able to use the JS API to more seamlessly integrate the reports.

• Marcelo Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Riccardo, our team is very much looking forward to being able to embed Power BI dashboards using custom Auth and as a mobile APP, Power BI visuals are nicer than any other competitor's. Thanks for letting us know you are planning on this.

• Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this be making it into the GA release of the Aug preview?

I also have a need to provide reporting to external customers. Currently, we serve report to users as follows:
        1) User logs into an ASP.NET Web Forms app using a custom authentication service that is similar to forms authentication.
        2) They select a report from a navigation control, configure available parameters, and run it.
        3) The report is viewed via the ReportViewer control.

The reports are authored against SQL and SSAS data sources. This is a multi-tenant SaaS application with multiple customers' data residing in the same tables. Because reports and queries are executed using stored service account credentials, we do not not rely on the databases to enforce row/cell/dimension security. Instead, we limit access to data by passing account number and user number parameters to the reports from parameter pages and as part of drillthroughs. Through the use of ReportViewer event handlers, we verify that an active session is present and that the user hasn't tampered with the security parameters in an attempt to gain access to another account's data.

I would like to use the same approach for embedded PowerBI reports via Power BI Report Server and a control similar to the Reporting Services ReportViewer. Is this on the roadmap?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.