Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

193 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ragunath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm very disappointed to hear that the email subscriptions feature will not be available on-premise server and there is no other alternatives

• Jamie King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hope the PBI dev team reconsider this one, as this is a major sticking point for a big amount of my stakeholders and agreeing on the transition to Power BI.

• Tom Derby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Subscriptions are a basic and core feature of any reporting service. I am trying to convince my associates this is worthy alternative to the many other products out there. They will use the lack of this core feature to dismiss the product, and I will agree with them.

• raquel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with everyone's comments. Integrated functionality is native to SSRS and one of its differentiators. It's the reason we chose PowerBI over its competirors. Discarding integration diminishes the stature and value of the product. Why should an "on-prem offering" translate to a "mediocre product"?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely unacceptable that you're essentially saying its infeasible to implement this feature.

• kah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

surely MS can see this differentiates the power bi product in a negative way from both its competitors tableau and qlikview - we would definitely be looking at either of these for our needs and standardize on one platform, almost certainly tableau. PBI has great features but if this essential use case cannot be covered, we cannot use it - plain and simple

I can't believe you axed subscriptions for the on prem Power BI server. We are in health care. We absolutely cannot send our data to the cloud. I am now researching 3rd party tools that can do this.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got to agree with many of the previous commenters that I believe this will harm long-term use / adoption of Power BI. Many organisations simply will not send their data to the cloud, whatever assurances from MS that it is secure. There's also regulatory restrictions especially for financial institutions. On-premises has to be functionally equivalent to cloud version (even if updates are a bit late). Email subscriptions are fairly basic functionality.
    I hope that this functionality can be revisited. (Also, the ability to manage data source on the server seperately from the pbix file, also a must for enterprise customers)

• slarkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clearly, Microsoft does not care about their customers who need to use only on-premises solutions. They want to push everyone to their cloud offerings. If you've spent a few years working in IT/IS and with Microsoft, you shouldn't be surprised by this tactic. Just look at the Power BI roadmap: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/roadmap/. There's very little planned for PBI Report Server. And, if you look at What's Planned for BI, you'll see more of the same. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/April19/business-intelligence/planned-features

• JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another reason for companies to look elsewhere. Microsoft really shooting themselves in the foot with the on premise version.

I am very sorry to hear that this will not be implemented any time soon. To be able to use PBI on the long term throughout our company this is an absolut must have. Unacceptable I would say.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.