How can we improve Power BI?

Pass filter in URL (Power BI Report Server)

It would be great if it would be possible to pass filters in the URL of the report on the report server (as it is already possible in Power BI online)

297 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Verena shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Riccardo Muti responded  · 

As promised, we’ve added basic filtering of Power BI reports via URL parameters, similar to the Power BI service feature described here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-url-filters/.

For example, if you’ve embedded a Power BI report into another app using an iframe and a URL like the following:

https://reportserver/reports/powerbi/Store Sales?rs:Embed=true

Then you can specify additional filters using the “filter” URL parameter:

https://reportserver/reports/powerbi/Store Sales?rs:Embed=true&filter= Store/Territory eq ‘NC’ and Store/Chain eq ‘Fashions Direct’

Syntax: URL?filter=Table/Field eq ‘value’

The same restrictions that apply to the Power BI service apply to the Report Server as well:
    - Table and Field names are case sensitive, value is not.
    - Fields that are hidden from report view can still be filtered.
    - Value has to be enclosed with single quotes.
    - Field type has to be string.
    - Table and field names cannot have any spaces.

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FYI people, UNDERSCORES in table names/column names DOES NOT WORK

• Mickael BENOIST commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does not work for me either. I tried with Power BI Report Server March 2018 version and the data come from MDX queries

• Anupama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please confirm if OR clause/Multi select of filter is supported? If not when we can expect this?

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This worked for me with URL encoding.
        <iframe src=ReportServerURL/FolderLocation/PBIReport?rs:Embed=true&filter=Table%2FField%20eq%20'FieldValue'></iframe>

• Peter Brase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does this work for Power BI Report Server March 2018 version? I have been unable to get it to work.

• Jinbo Du commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my url query string is:
        ?rs:Embed=true&filter=product/productname eq 'abc'
        I got an Error: Script error for "odataFilterParser".
        any idea?

• Arun Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Riccardo, I upgraded PowerBI report server with the latest march update and basic filtering of Power BI reports via URL parameters doesn't work.

• Mr.zhu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I Want Embedded report to web application,But the Pop-up box of User and Pwd is very Annoying,how can I do to Solve the problem

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I upgraded PowerBI server with the Latest March release and the passing filters through URL is not working any more. It was working with October Release but not with the latest march release

• Erez Ben Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is a must. we already use the eq= url filter but we need also to filter on multiple values of the same filed with OR is that possible? how?

• Nirav Desai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The service feature document on microsoft.com says it is not supported on Power BI embedded but your example in above post says it does. Which one is true?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I tested this today but it is not working using Power BI report on SSRS on premise. The &filter is totally being ignored. Should we update anything before?

• Josiah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is good, but I need it to work in publish to web URLs as well. Should I open a new idea?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.