How can we improve Power BI?

Pass filter in URL (Power BI Report Server)

It would be great if it would be possible to pass filters in the URL of the report on the report server (as it is already possible in Power BI online)

302 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Verena shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminRiccardo Muti (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) responded  · 

As promised, we’ve added basic filtering of Power BI reports via URL parameters, similar to the Power BI service feature described here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-url-filters/.

For example, if you’ve embedded a Power BI report into another app using an iframe and a URL like the following:

https://reportserver/reports/powerbi/Store Sales?rs:Embed=true

Then you can specify additional filters using the “filter” URL parameter:

https://reportserver/reports/powerbi/Store Sales?rs:Embed=true&filter= Store/Territory eq ‘NC’ and Store/Chain eq ‘Fashions Direct’

Syntax: URL?filter=Table/Field eq ‘value’

The same restrictions that apply to the Power BI service apply to the Report Server as well:
    - Table and Field names are case sensitive, value is not.
    - Fields that are hidden from report view can still be filtered.
    - Value has to be enclosed with single quotes.
    - Field type has to be string.
    - Table and field names cannot have any spaces.

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I tested this today but it is not working using Power BI report on SSRS on premise. The &filter is totally being ignored. Should we update anything before?

• Josiah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is good, but I need it to work in publish to web URLs as well. Should I open a new idea?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When this will be released with Power BI Report Server?
        I have tried the latest version, it does not work.

• Prashant Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Riccardo Muti When this feature is expected to be released.Power BI service is not an option for us.We are in great need for this feature.

• Megerle Friedel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please tell us the estimated or release date, we need this in the next weeks.

When will Power BI Service be aligned with Power BI Report Server, now the Report Server is has less features than the Cloud Version, you con say it is the light Version of the cloud product. We are not allowed to put our data in the cloud so we run the local PBI Server.
        When will you publish the next Version? The last Version was the August 2017 Prewiew, now we have the 24th October.

• Martin Larsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As mentioned before, this is a showstopper for us as well. The filer URL query schema that exist in the PBI service is a bit too specific to the data source. It would be better to be able to filter through a parameter which makes it much more flexible and it does not expose the internal data structure in the URL.

• Nikos TOMADAKIS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very helpful!
        We would like to filter a Power BI Report (Power BI Report Server on our Premises) by passing the parameters somehow. Power BI online is not an option for us.
        It would be great if we could pass a parameter in the URL. If there is another way to do so please advise.

• Olga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important feature existing even in SSRS. Do you have any estimation on release date? Currently it's showstopper for us to start migration from SSRS to PowerBI server.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a planned release date for this feature? This would be very helpful!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.