How can we improve Power BI?

Obtaining time zone for Power BI service's user

It seems neither DAX nor Power Query don't have a function to obtain the time zone for the current user who is using the Power BI Service. The scenario is I make dashboards that are used in different time zones. I am using functions like TODAY and NOW to obtain current time/date but they are useless in different time zones because Microsoft support told me Power BI service only uses its own time zone i.e. UTC. One could say a solution could be I use two different dashboards for different time zones but we have managers who travel between these time zones and their dashboard becomes wrong then. I think it is necessary that either DAX or Power Query have a function to obtain user’s time zone.

15 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Salim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Susana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problema:
    I need to show in a Powe BI report the last refresh date/time of the data.
    I keep the date of recharged in a table with a single row and a single column.
    But this is the UTC time.
    Now I return the one from Spain, but I would like to be able to return the local time of every user.

I think that Power BI should have a function to get the time zone of the current user who is using the Power BI service.

• Kevin H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it has to be with DAX, in order for one report/dashboard to show dates/times to many users, in their respective local time zones. Which would be great!

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.