How can we improve Power BI?

Usage metrics for Power BI apps

Augment the existing usage metrics feature to make it easier to see usage metrics for a Power BI app - e.g. total views/viewers for the App.

Notice that this is _already possible_ with the existing usage metrics, via customization of the pre-built report. More details in the documentation here:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-usage-metrics/

196 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sirui Sun shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jacob Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please add this! with the new roll out of additional App features, it is more essential than ever to understand who is using our Apps! We have migrated our users to viewing in Apps and now have no visibility into adoption. If it's easier, I would settle for the usage metrics of the underlying reports to update when a user views them. Right now, not even this is possible.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here, I just moved a report to an App because I was lead to believe this is the preferred method for having development and production of analysis. But not understanding my production environment (the app) because I have no usage data is a HUGE miss!!!

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Badly needed. While this may be already possible if working out of a standard workspace, this is NOT possible within the new "App Workspace". The Usage Metrics buttons simply aren't there. Recently deployed using app workspace & app, but have no way to report to management on usage/adoption. Big miss here, Microsoft.

• Cory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has to be included if Microsoft wants widespread adoption of Apps. At least give us the report usage reports as a start!

• Renato Paiva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm very disappointed with this. I moved all my reports to app's area and there is no method to measure the public engagement and they page performance. I just learned about this after move... :(

• Emma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am resisting the urge to distribute reports and dashboards via an App purely because I'm not able to get usage stats on an App. Is there an ETA on if/when this feature will be built in? I share the sentiment that Apps seems to be the way Microsoft are pushing us yet we can't monitor our user adoption on that very thing.

• Reggie Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to export ALL of the underlying usage data for my Power BI app. Or be able to link to it automatically for more of a detailed analysis. I currently have to go through multiple reports and dashboards, export the individual underlying data and create a final report.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to mention that this is not possible to do via customization of the pre-built usage metric report as it's mention above. The pre-built usage metric only fill the dataset with statistic only of the report or dashboard, not all the statistics of the workspace.

• Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any good workarounds for this? I read the docs at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-usage-metrics and saw some references to other tools but we don't have Azure and etc.... In some ways I don't need the statics on the app. but the report in the app. Things appear to show only when you access the report directly and not through the app.

If there is not a workaround is there a time frame?

• Kim S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WOW, Microsoft is pushing us down the APP direction but there is not Usage Metrics for that. My people loved the usage metrics on report. Now that I am moving to an APP I can't give that to them. Is there an ETA?

I thought thought I was just missing something then found this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in the same situation as Sandfurth, I can see usage information for the Report when shared from Workspace, but data is not showing for report shared as an APP. What gets me is this is the way Microsoft wants you to do this...

• Sandfurth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the usage metrics report is not showing all the users. We can see the usage metrics report for the users using our reports via the workspace but not via APP. I have about 150 users who got the app installed automatically, none of them are reported although I know a they use the report.

• Caio Proiete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make sure we can track views for different versions/releases of the same app. Right now you cannot tell if users have seen app v1.0 or v2.0, for example.

• JCra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there currently any way that we can analyse who has viewed an app that has been created? If not then this is definitely needed!

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.