How can we improve Power BI?

Show email address or user name in usage metrics for dashboards and reports

In the usage metrics for dashboards and reports, show the names and/or email addresses of the end users.

FYI: The current usage metrics feature is documented here:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-usage-metrics/

504 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sirui SunAdminSirui Sun (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DimitarDimitar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, new user usage metrics are definitely a great feature!
        Can we use them also with PBI Embedded (case of App Tokens) - there is an optional claim of 'username' to be used with RLS ? (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/power-bi-embedded-app-token-flow)
        It would be great to obtain user statistics even if we register with the Master app account?
        Thanks, Dimitar

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current usage metrics is beautiful but totally useless to the users. most frequent questions we get from management are: who (specific persons) accessed the reports/ dashboards and how many times specific user (by name) has accessed the same.
        Also what are the popular dashboards and useless dashboards that we PROS have created. Dashboards by Name again.

I don't think I can answer by telling 5 users accessed of which 2 are unique; Rank is X for this dashboard and get away.

Please improve the usage metrics reports

• Matt NeyhartMatt Neyhart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this. The who. The when and the count is great, but with no supporting detail, it does not get us home.

• WildmightWildmight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good morning, is there any progress with this item? Seems to be pretty straightforward compared to other ones recently implemented.

Does this idea include to provide the number of times a specific user has viewed a report?

Please! We need this. Every time I start to build this I realize how ridiculous it is that I'm having to and it's not already there

Absolutely necessary. If we wish to understand the usage of reports or if reports are to be changed we need to understand which users wold be affected.

• Alex DAlex D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes and most of all being able to see usages metrics for all reports and dashboard and all the Workspaces.

Right now you only have the possibility to see usage metrics for the current Shared Workspace you are looking at. You might want to create a Shared Workspace for monitoring the usage of all reports and dashboard across all Workspaces.

• Rory NearyRory Neary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can get to this if you turn on auditing in power bi within the tenant setting, but it's very awkward to get to. I agree that without username it's difficult to have a sensible conversation to promote usage of a report.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.