How can we improve Power BI?

create multiple apps from same workspace

create multiple apps from same workspace infect from same Dataset without replicating the dataset multiple times.
only option we have now is to update the app and only one app per workspace can be created which a kind of restrict the workspace usability.
If we can create multiple apps share it with different users without creating multiple workspace ... means same dataset no dataset replication, will save the storage as well.

536 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To "solve" this, I have a "Master Dashboard" that has ALL of our pages for all our reports. I then must split this master report into 10+ reports so that it's manageable to our users and I publish those reports to various apps.

If I didn't have a master dashboard I'd have duplicate pages between apps that would need to be kept in sync. This is not maintainable.

• matei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be a good thing.

For example: having a Finance Department Workspace.
        Within Finance Workspace there are several datasets belonging to several Teams like Accounts Payable, Acounts Receivable... Each team should have it's set of reports published in an App (AP App, AR App etc.)

• Raymond Xu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why Microsoft always ignore large organization requirements, and deliver functionality which can not be used in production.

Are the product managers too much far from real industry????????????

• Raymond Xu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why Microsoft always ignore large organization requirements, and deliver functionality which can not be used in production.

Are the product manager is too much far from real industry????????????

• CW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really excited to see this in production someday! It would really make Power BI the #1 BI tool of choice in my company!!

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This capability would enable my team to efficiently and effectively scale reporting to multiple organizations within our company. Really looking forward to developments on this idea!

• Andreas S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully buy in into that idea! Only being able to create one App per AppWorkspace is really disappointing in Scenarios where you'd like to serve a broad audience with different reporting needs (as I do have in front of me) - w/o creating redundancy of identical datasets, reports & dashboards accross several app workspaces as of today. I find the Tableau concept (Site / Project hierarchy / Project / Data sources & Workbooks) much more convinient.

• Raj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the above idea of creating/ publishing multiple Apps from a single App Workspace.
        In addition, I would also like to have folder/sub-folder like structure for App Workspaces where I can publish the whole main folder(App Workspace) to a group versus publishing a single/multiple sub-folders to another group.
        Anybody else thinks this is a good idea?

• Jacey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, it would be easier for admin to maintain. same group can consume more than one reports/dashboards.

• Patrice Quevillon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is definitely required for our enterprise-wide deployment. We need to ability to publish different contents to different groups from the same datasets.

• Troy Erickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two major features are needed here. First, the ability to create multiple apps from one workspace. Second, the ability to create a dashboard the pulls visuals from reports that reside in different workspaces.

This is essential for reuse within large organizations.

• Scott A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a priority for Microsoft--large enterprise customers need this type of flexibility.

without this whats the point of apps... Really hope this feature comes asap, even 2-3 apps would be OK and then more apps for a higher price, but 1 app per workspace makes that 1 app kindof redundant

We are able to re-use one golden dataset across different apps, as I commented on one of Matt Arlington's blogs. This is different from using multiple apps to one workspace to centralize development, but solves part of the problem.
        In my scenario I am making this Golden Dataset available to use in multiple App Workspaces, to maximize the application of “single source of truth”. This is done by using Sharepoint to house the Golden Dataset (PBIX), then in each of the App Workspaces use Get Data –> Get Files –> Sharepoint Teamsites, then point to where the PBIX file is uploaded.
        The setup is pretty straightforward, using Sharepoint as the cloud storage for PBIX files, and by using the "Get Files from Sharepoint" method above, in each App Workspace, the Golden Dataset is now available for use in each App Workspace, and subsequently production Apps. Future updates in the Golden Dataset (data refresh, measures, relationships) will reflect to each App Workspace.

• Anselmo Gomez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thought on this....
        Assuming the 1:1 relationship between the Workspace and the App, one option could be to allow the creation of multiple "Views" within the App... Each of such "Views" would have two components:

1) A selection (filter) of which available objects in the App are included.. It would be like the current "Included in App" switch that determines if a Workspace object is included in the App, but in this case to determine if the App object is included in the "View", and

2) Access permissions (entire organization or specific users or groups)

So rather than having the access permissions set at the App level like now, the proposal would be to shift the permissions to the App "Views"...
        Maybe in that way, the architecture behind Workspaces and Apps could remain the same...Only security would be needed to be enhanced....

fully agree
        we re currently working on our governance and this restriction is slowing down our process
        would be great to have some new distribution features in the coming releases

• Raphael Nash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be awsome. Microsoft should investigate ways to reuse powerbi artifacts as much as possible.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.