How can we improve Power BI?

Conditional formatting (cell highligh, font, etc) when comparing multiple fields

PowerBI needs to have the ability to offer conditional formatting of based on the comparison of 2 or more metrics. For example if metric A = metric B then change the font and highlight color of the cell to red.
If metric A > metric B and metric A < metric C then change the font and highlight color of the cell to green.
This should be unlimited for how many colors can be used. Other BI tools offer this feature.
Note that this is different than what PowerBI currently calls ‘conditional formatting’

800 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Melissa.WegnerMelissa.Wegner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need the ability to conditional format by column based on different values related to that column... So I want column A to have color formatting based on different criteria than column B. Currently i am only aware you can do conditional formatting on one column

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to also be able to conditionally format based on a field that is not a measure. You should be able to conditionally format based on any field type; Text, Date, Number, Etc - this is reporting 101

• Jani LiimattaJani Liimatta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need expressions everywhere, not only formatting. I run daily into the limitations PowerBI has.

• Elena SchottElena Schott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we can get conditional formatting based on other cells in the row available, then folks can add baby images as a cell type separately (arrow, circle, stoplight, baby chickens, whatnot) and be able to colorize them etc based on this which is needed first.

• WadeWade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, exactly, what would also be good to be able to use your own image url's in the matrix tables as values, or if the image url's could be integrated into conditional formatting interface. For a service health dashboard, you really need a matrix table with the values as the service health icons. E.G. Rows would be the name and columns would be the date, then values would be an icon set representing an outage or green checkmark, etc....

• Kees KuipKees Kuip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I abandoned power bi in favour of excel with powerquery and powerpivot.
        This formatting is available in excel but not in power bi!

• SaidSaid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need a feature that allows us to visualize some data with icons like traffic lights, flags, and arrows as in Excel. Sorry for my english but I understand a little

• SahilSahil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we have conditional formatting on categorical values.?
        If Status column is Completed, color = Green
        If status column is Running, color = Yellow
        If status column is On Hold, color = Red
        Thanks

• Antonio MezzaroAntonio Mezzaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it is very important to conditional formatting grid cells basing on values different than the ones contained in each cell. Voted.

• SumanSuman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Power BI is useless tool, no vision what they delivering as a product... its something half-boiled product and not good enterprise.

• JakeJake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think at the very least the conditional formatting options should be on a par with what Excel currently has.

• AnonAnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What company would buy a tool like this over a proven visualization tool without doing an assessment to determine whether it had this basic functionality? #genius

• Mike TrumboreMike Trumbore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basic function even in lesser tools such a Excel. Must have if we are going to adopt Power BI as standard visualization tool.

• JulieJulie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Basic capability required to support visual metric reporting. This is absolutely necessary for us.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.