How can we improve Power BI?

Dynamic Date Slicer (improve relative date slicer)

This is a repost of my idea that was closed as completed, but the 'relative date slicer doesn't allow any of the described request hence my idea is not implemented....

The new date slicer is awesome, but it would be so nice if you could set a dynamic date selection instead of a static. With a static filter the user will always have to set the dates before the saved report makes sense - especially as the report gets older.

Dynamic options could be
YTD, QTD, MTD, WTD, Today, This Year, This Quarter, This Month, This Week and so on.

original idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17004565-dynamic-date-slicer

302 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sdjensensdjensen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The relative date slicer (a Preview feature as of June ‘17) gets us close to this with the ’This Month’ or ‘This Year’ settings. That is a dynamic date selection that updates based on the current system date. We plan to add a ‘YTD’/‘MTD’ option to specifically select a range from the start of the month/year up to today, hopefully that’ll address the remaining requirements!

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John SJohn S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any "YTD/MTD" is of marginal usefulness unless the START date can actually be set. Is that Fiscal YTD, Calendar YTD, or School Year YTD??

MTD is not as much need, although some folks DO set the start of their Fiscal Month other than the First. Just not very common.

• Daníel HjörvarDaníel Hjörvar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kinda clumsy but the relevant date slicer shows Next 1 Days = Last 1 Days which clearly doesn't make any sense.

Hope this gets fixed

• Hannes WallHannes Wall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should also be able to select start day of the week. Currently it defaults to Sunday with no way of changing it.

• Victor FrancoVictor Franco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The relative date filter released in july is great, but it is missing the "Quarter" option, that seems to be so easy... Hope it appears in the next update.

• victorvictor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In MS Excel I can create a date slicer and select for example '2016-april' (or whatever). After that, with cube functions, I create a date range from that date ('2016-april') till one year before ('2015-may' in this case). It works pretty nice, but I can not do that in Power BI. Can we add this? It will become a possibility soon?

• Nelson FraserNelson Fraser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the additional items that needs to be included in the relative date slicer is "older than" or "before".
        The ability to show all items created "before 2 weeks ago" would be very handy

• StretcharmStretcharm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the last x days including today is fixed in july release. Plus great relative time filters. Thanks

• StretcharmStretcharm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice feature. I have an issue with Include today option not working with Last x days. It works fine with weeks and months,

• HelenaHelena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that being able to specify the start date of a year is important, not everyone has a financial year that starts 1 January.

• duc thaiduc thai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need a couple text box at run time so user can type in what they like to pull in for the report not thing that have to pre define in a table or query
        currently there is no way to pull in data for example for a column with text filed between a range with wild card cpt4 code from a* to cd* etc , there are hundred or thousand of diagnose in a diagnose table the end user is not going to select a drop down and click many of them just to select what to get into the report , they should able to type in 2 text box and get what they want.
        these are very basic input parameter and every bi software have it , even access data has it
        but is not avaible for power bi desktop

• Dan DayDan Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be able to set when the YTD starts as our YTD is from 1st April not 1st Jan, so it will be a useless feature for us.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also needs to have native logic to recognize/support a previously set or defined fiscal year, in addition to the calendar year.

• sdjensensdjensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I see it adding 'To Date' and 'Include current' as two individual options would make it possible to create most of the wanted also having this year (quarter, month) to date and the previous 2 years (quaters, months).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this ASAP! Especially for those of us connecting live to SSAS MD. Our options in Power BI are massively limited compared to those importing their data or using tabular. Having these filtering options will solve a lot of our pain points.

• sdjensensdjensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many of my wanted requests could be implemented by making some additions to the 'Relative Date Slicer'. In the list with Last, Next and This you could add a 'To Date' option that could then return YTD, MTD etc.

If Last or Next is selected you should add the option to include current AND To Date so if I select Last 2 years (calendar) and enable include current I would get from 1/1/2015 until 12/31/2017 and if I then also pick 'To Date' the current year would be only until todays date.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.