How can we improve Power BI?

Power BI Lite License

Power BI should have a Lite License for people that only consume dashboards or reports every now and then. This is for people that don't create reports but need to see the dashboards and may need to use the "report level" to be able to export output to PowerPoint (since you can't export the dashboard to PowerPoint but can only do it at Report level).

755 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Collin QuiringCollin Quiring shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • rodrod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since you eliminated the office 365 for small businesses, it seems you have totally forgotten about us. My small consulting practice does a lot of analysis, reporting and benchmarking and this would be a very useful tool.

• Garland JohnstonGarland Johnston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of my clients have 300-500 users and the Power BI Premium cost are not feasible. We need an option where you can have a small group of power users and a larger readonly audience.

• Alan TindallAlan Tindall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for a charity and have a Pro license for developing Power BI. I would like to see the requirement of a Pro license for internal end consumers removed, at the very least.

It is so easy to fall into the trap of using a Pro-Content feature, without even realising you have, because it aids the reporting you wish to display but then for the end user within our own company to also be charged to see that work seems like we are being charged twice.

• Åge Tjelta LandråkÅge Tjelta Landråk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My company develop and sell UXRisk witch is a modern Multitenant Native Cloud solution on Azure. The clients are small go large companies. We have always recommended Power BI as the visualization tool, and we have a close integration with Power BI. Today most of our clients use the Power BI free in combination with Power BI Pro. After the new pricing model it is close to impossible for our clients to use Power BI. As a result it will also be very hard for us to sell UXRisk as a cost effective solution without replacing Power BI. I surly support the Power BI Lite License idea.

• MaithiunasMaithiunas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My of my client reject this new pricing of Power BI services. Better if Microsoft come with a lite version of it for small clients and fast. Great tool but this little issues need to fix ASAP.

• Mike HoneyMike Honey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea, but not a fan of the "Lite" name - I'd call it Power BI Online.

To those who expect it this be free, that seems unrealistic - you would be getting secure access to regularly updated data, hosted on cloud servers.

• UldisUldis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope power bi lite would have some option that costs starting from 20 euros/month (or at least no more than 50 euros/month). Because for an ISV application that has 5-15 users is realistic case and paying more than 50 euros/monthly would be too much (there are OTHER costs not only power bi, so this sums up...) P.S. I TOTALLY agree to Alfredo, that this is the WORST news to Power BI community - and it also damages TRUST into Microsoft as a vendor, because such a huge change into pricing places a lot of ISV's into risk. Power Bi embedded was (if no solution is provided) a perfect ISV attractor to Microsoft platform...

• AlfredoAlfredo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the worse news POWER BI Community has got since the release of POWER BI the best tool to make reports and share them has SHOOT himself with this decision. We had develop and build (& sell ) many dshboard with the feature to share it for free.

It seems that there is a new MKT manager with a different ponit of view on how this product should be develop beacuase this is not behaivor or the things we (users) had seen since the release and the develop of the product, that in my opinion it was the first MS product with a different mind set, focus on the customer use, instead of the money needed.

The solution is to have a free viewer for reports and dashboards.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We all agree that PowerBi is an excellent tool, but in order to be adopted from smaller companies, the pricing model has to change. Free consuption of reports is necessary!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Portugal is a small country with small companies. The actual model is not suitable for our reality.
        Please adjust it Microsoft!

• Benoit DelvauxBenoit Delvaux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree.
        We are a 500 seats company and would like to have 30 PBI Pro licenses + 1 capacity for the 470 remaining seats.
        It would cost us 4500€ which is the same if not more than what we would pay for 500 pro licenses... This is complete non-sense and because of that PBI rollout/adoption is totally frozen.

• KevinKevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, it's problematic to have Pro Licenses only for people who need to read a report created with Power BI on Premises features.

It doesn't sounds logical that the same kind of license is needed for users creating and sharing the reports & users only reading the Reports/Dashboards..

I'm sure many small/medium companies cannot move forward with Power BI because of this reason.

For me, reading any kind of report should be available for free users, or maybe for "Lite Users" if there is more features available than the one for free users.

• FranzFranz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All Dashboard consumers with only "View" rights should be FREE. a data analytics and all with Edit or above rights could need a PRO license. Sharing is Free in all the competitors, so why charge for it if? I think is a terrible strategy that will prevent many organizations to use it and will lead them to look to other alternatives for what to many it is still just a fancy tool.

• C BirdC Bird commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a saying 'look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves (UK currency).' Given SME's are the future Enterprises it's worth the effort to attract and retain your SME customer base. After all Microsoft works with schools, colleges, universities to provide competitive pricing model with a view the user becomes a Microsoft client for life. Banks work hard to get university students to sign up for the very same reason. The chances are the student will remain a life time customer unless the bank does something really silly.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.