How can we improve Power BI?

Power BI Lite License

Power BI should have a Lite License for people that only consume dashboards or reports every now and then. This is for people that don't create reports but need to see the dashboards and may need to use the "report level" to be able to export output to PowerPoint (since you can't export the dashboard to PowerPoint but can only do it at Report level).

2,664 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Collin QuiringCollin Quiring shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

77 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • J FarmerJ Farmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We cannot enforce pro licences on our external consumers to occasionally consume our dashboards and premium is too costly at the moment for what we need and afford - premium may be an option to scale to later but not yet. We need this or a way to allow external users access the power bi reports server without an ad account but an office 365 account instead. MS - please advise as we may need to rethink our strategy

• Chris ParkerChris Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous

Something tells me that you not wanting to know about another SKU might not be a good reason to dislike this idea. I don't know. Maybe that's just me.

• FGOAOFGOAO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Builders should use powerbi pro. Viewers should use a office 365 subscription with pbi lite version!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I could vote against this I would. The licensing model is clean and succinct - no need to sully it up with a bunch of different levels. If your company thinks $10/mo/user is too much to spend on someone who is reading reports (and is presumably a decision-maker) then I strongly suggest polishing up your resume and going to work at a company that values analytics.

Got lucky my company is getting Pro licenses, but they are limited number. So now I have to double my work - created Power Bi reports for people with pro licences, and Create Excel reports for people without... I really find it counter productive and stupid...Sticking to excel for now, until whole license mess is resolved...

• NorbertoNorberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am willing to get the Power BI Pro license, but I need to be able to post the dashboards I create in my organization's SharePoint. All they need is a way to view and interact with the dashboard. Not having this capability is delaying my decision to work with Power BI. When is Microsoft going to develop a Power BI viewer for non Power BI end users?

• tommitommi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft,
        Please don't waste this product and kill the current enthusiasm and a truly magnificent uptake. Re-think your pricing model and keep the momentum moving.

• Alexis OlsonAlexis Olson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is indeed a major issue with Power BI.

Tableau is much more expensive for a single developer, but the reader is free. Microsoft really needs something similar so that I don't have to get a license for everyone who *might* occasionally view a report.

I started using PowerBi just now and the tool itself is great. Unfortunately it's useless for us to really use, since our employee base is on E3 licencing and i can never triple that investment just for people to be able to view some simple graphs. Back to sending excel attachments for now..

• Shlomi PostelnikShlomi Postelnik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely must have.

Wondering if there has been any response/feedback from MS BI team on this request/suggestion about pricing?

• Dan XDan X commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this much votes (in fact, being the top voted idea), there should have been a progress on this. Still no change in status. :(

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that no license should be needed to consume a report/dashboard.

• Earl RudolfoEarl Rudolfo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wondering if there has been any response/feedback from MS BI team on this request/suggestion about pricing?

• BartBart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voting on anything else is pointless if no one is using PowerBI.

We need this.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.