How can we improve Power BI?

Calculated measures when live connected to MDX cubes

In May 2017 Power BI Desktop started supporting creation of DAX measures when working in live connect mode to an external SSAS model: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/

Vote on this idea if you want support for calculated measures against multidimensional models too.

471 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Will ThompsonAdminWill Thompson (Product Manager, Power BI, Microsoft Power BI) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike FossMike Foss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on when this will work with Multi-Dimensional Models? It currently works with Tabular models but it is super important that is work with all models as it does in Excel. This would accelerate the usage of Power BI in my organization.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really strange that this is still a hard showstopper...from technical side there shouldn't be any challenges doing the same like available already for tabular for MD? Tools like https://www.xlcubed.com/ can do that since Long time and works great

• Aaron ShumakerAaron Shumaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No surprise this jumped right to the top ideas. It's what we voted for originally! It'd have even more votes if you didn't hijack the other feature request and only implement it in half the product, and pretend we weren't voting for MDX cube support all along! So my votes on the other feature didn't mean what I thought it meant? You should have closed that feature in the beginning and split out two new. I think you'd have seen mdx was preferred. Very few people are going to see the change and actually come move their votes. From the beginning mdx has gotten the cold shoulder in so many ways. Why would you try to force your customers onto tabular when there are so many scenarios that are more difficult. Tabular is a solution that makes 90% of scenarios easier and 10% nearly impossible. It's the same mistake MS made with ASP Web Forms in effort to make development easier they painted you into a corner that made alot of things nearly impossible. This and named sets are important features to producing flexible reports that will meet customer needs. The work arounds are ugly and produce a poor experience for the customer.

The current Live Connection is very limited as it doesn't allow to generate calculated measure and/or label renaming. This should work the same way SSRS datasets work.

• TrinathTrinath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, Please post us the updates if any? We have been waiting on this since many months. trusting you guys, we still stick to Power BI. If its delayed, whats the point getting a tool that doesn't support the set up we have?

• YangYang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really keen for the calculated measures on Multi-Dimensional SSAS model!

• Stefan H.Stefan H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A live connection to the SSAS tabular model is no option for us. So I´m really waiting for this solution!

• Anirudh GoelAnirudh Goel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not every user of SSAS has a machine with beefy RAM thus invalidating using tabular models. By not offering Multidimensional support you are yourself discouraging people from using a Microsoft Tech, why so? Make it at parity!

• TrinathTrinath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please dont say that, this has to go Planned--->Started-->Wait for an year--->Completed :O

Always wondered why it wasn't included in the first place...
        Would love to have this option!

• Ludwig CoosemansLudwig Coosemans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was a well-appreciated feature in DataZen which we were using when Microsoft acquired it. MS then promised to integrate DataZen into their own platform (now called Power BI), so it should only be a matter of time. Hopefully not for long anymore because many of our users have already started talking to us about Qlikview: they want to read the data warehouse (the data base!) in order to make their own reports, while all the value is already in the MD Cubes...

• Maarten de HaasMaarten de Haas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We invested a lot of time and effort in creating SSAS-MD cubes. These cubes are widely use in the organization. One of the key drivers for choosing PowerBI as our standard visualization tool was leverage our current installed base of MD-Cubes.

Not being able to add simple calculated measures (delta's, index or ratio's). Forces our users to flatten our cubes (performance and consistency risks ) or move to export in excel. This creates a security risk.

Please add support for calculated measures against multidimensional models ASAP!!

• Krzysztof ZajączkowskiKrzysztof Zajączkowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was also thinking that this will be fixed for multidimensional in the May update. It's a shame that despite the old thread already got 1,227 votes, we now need to vote again for MD.

I think that most users were voting for multidimensional in the first place :).

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.