How can we improve Power BI?

Create calculated columns when using SSAS live connect

In May 2017 Power BI Desktop started supporting creation of DAX measures when working in live connect mode to an external SSAS model: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary/

Vote on this idea if you want support for calculated columns in this mode as well!

432 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Will ThompsonAdminWill Thompson (Product Manager, Power BI, Microsoft Power BI) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dylan MorganDylan Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a practical request. A DAX Measure is metadata, and can be passed in at query time. This allows you to creat DAX measures in Power BI and execute them in Analysis Services. A calculated column is a materialized data element evaluated at model process time. Adding the ability for users to add these in Power BI is dangerous because you are essentially adding model development. Calculated columns are generally An anti pattern in enterprise models, because they consume memory and logic that uses them is almost always better placed in ETL or a measure definition.

Do NOT do this.

• Sairam S SimhaSairam S Simha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely a requirement. Part of a leading manufacturing/automation organization, being agile on our feet with data is extremely important.

+100 from my end.

• WaheedWaheed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes we need it and will surely do much help rather going back to cubes.

Thanks.

• Nigel FrostNigel Frost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is really needed by my client, using Power BI online. They hold back-office transport data that will be stored in SSAS Cubes, and accessed securely by their customers, as a live connection. Admittedly it's my error for not doing due diligence, but if we'd known this functionality wasn't available we would probably not have gone the Power BI route. So yes please, on Desktop and Online!

• Anirudh GoelAnirudh Goel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make life so easy and make PowerBi a differentiate PowerBI from the Competition. Here's a scenario it would help me with, i am trying to setup different visuals and we prefer using a cube that way we have a powerful machine processing the cube the way we want it. Then i come across suggestions on the forum on using a calculated column to achieve a scenario X in power Bi, guess what i have to do right now? Deploy a new model :(. With this i would be able to do it out of the box!

• DerrickDerrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would solve a lot of problems for us... including making hyperlinks within SSAS models work in a table/matrix.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please!!!!! Calculated columns on live data (Power BI Service) is super critical!!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Dan English. Need this for both Multidimensional and Tabular. I'm excited to start working with calculated measures on top of a live SSAS connection.

• Dan EnglishDan English commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would this be for both Multidimensional and Tabular or just strictly Tabular? Just want to make sure I know what I am voting on;) Definitely want both.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.