How can we improve Power BI?

Support switching SSAS connect model from "Connect Live" to "Import"

Once a report is created with an SSAS source using Connect Live, the mode cannot currently be switched to Import. This is frustrating if we have a report that we decide we want to publish to the web.

262 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jay Eckles shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Erickson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have created a very complex, universal report for our business, that has lots of pages, visuals, buttons, bookmarks, etc. It has been iterated over several months, but we realized recently that we should have done Import Mode for better performance and not Live Query. Since there is no easy way to convert live query to import mode, it means that we might have to pretty much start over if we want to go on import mode for better performance. Even with the copying/pasting feature, I can still see this project taking 2 weeks... this is a must, and I wish it had more than 253 votes...

• Anusha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very useful and should be done sooner. I created a report in live mode and now I want to do grouping/binning which is not possible in live report. So need to switch to import mode so get it done. This itself is not possible and makes me stuck as I need to go to DW to fix the issue. Bit frustrating as I don't have power to bin the data in live mode which is such an important feature itself.

• Anusha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I need to change my current model data connection to import as I am unable to use certain functionalities in live mode (which is a big power bi disadvantage). But I don't want to start building my reports again which I have already developed. PBI should be feasible enough in switching modes.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is would save so much time!!! Please add this in!!!! Both directions would be good!!! please!!!!

• lrmmf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And also from import to connect live. Another matter is that i can't believe that when importing data PBI can't maintain the structures and joins all the attributes in one structure called model or something like that.

• Rudolf Limburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great addition and would be very useful too the other way around (change an imported connection to a live connection)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a huge time saver. If you have a direct connection report and then need that same report to have the data imported you have to re-create it. Very inefficient!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a useful feature that would allow us to not have to recreate reports

• Joel Faltermeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be able to switch between sources in general! Import, connect live, either way. I have a report built using SQL Server Database as the source. Originally was DirectQuery, but changed to Import. Moved the data model into SSAS Tabular. Now I find that I would have to rebuild the entire report?

This is a major issue. At the VERY least please provide some kind of wizard or way to migrate built reports on a data model from one source/method to another.

• ManiRaga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have same scenario where we have created Power BI reports using live connection. Now, we want to change live connection to import data with minimal impact to visuals. Please suggest any alternative

• Vanessa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is very annoying, i understand imported to live, but from live to imported, how hard can it be?

• CAHUEP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a frustrating, please make it possible that we can switch between Live Connection and Import

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.