How can we improve Power BI?

Increase Export Data Limits

In late 2016, Power BI improved our export data options to allow exporting up to 150,000 rows to Excel from a visual on a Power BI dashboard for Pro users. If you require higher limits, please vote on this idea. If you have more specific requirements, please leave them in the comments.

718 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminAdam Wilson (POWER BI) (Product Manager, Microsoft Power BI) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

85 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The capabilities of Power BI to transform data are great. The transformed data cannot currently be used in other reports / applications because we can not export it from Power BI. This really limits a lot of uses for the product.

• Pablo César commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. There should not be a limit. We need to process files with millions of records. 30k-csv/150k-xlsx limit has no sense.

• Madan Prabhakara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There shouldn't be any restriction on amount of rows to be exported. May be it can split records to more than one excel with each excel containing up to 100,000 rows making it convenient for users in case the record count is huge

Hallelujah!!! Hugely glad to see it's finally being addressed and, since data volumes keep increasing year over year, we definitely hope it will allow a full data dump.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Export to CSV should have no limits on number of records being exported.
        Unless there is some commercial reasoning behind, for a 21st century app this is a very strange limitation ...

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no benefit to exporting only partial data...increasing the limit is a must!

• Jaap Olsthoorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would still love to see this increased. One of our clients favourite things is asking for a report that shows all transactions of a particular type including all of its metadata. I now create an index on my rows and only display the first 150k, then you can use a slicer to go to the second 150k. It just results in multiple CSV's that you have to append. So it's not even preventing the end users from exporting that many rows, it's just preventing us from doing it conveniently.

I do believe this issue is more common among agencies that work with other clients data, than it would be when powerBI is used as an internal tool (because the internal people could get access to the database directly)

• Steven Enk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When doing heavy data analysis, it is a definite challenge to tell our users that they can only export so few records. At least getting it to something near to the limit of Excel would be helpful for excel. For CSV, it should be even larger.

• Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised we're still waiting for this a year later... considering that this idea was originally shared by a Microsoft Power BI Product Manager.

150,000 rows is extremely limiting.

• ja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm run into exporting limit problems too in the past. It would be helpful to have more capability.

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you increase the limit to one million rows? We have data sets with over 30 million rows but wouldn't want someone to extract that much data (not to mention that excel only supports up to 1.48~ million rows).

• Mohamad Kassab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exporting unlimited number of rows, would be great to have. Data size is getting bigger and bigger everyday, hence, this is essential for business intelligence.

• Adam Kruzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need to increase the export size in Power BI Desktop. I often export to excel to check against other sources and 30k rows limits how much I'm able to check.

Why limit the export at all? Since we are merely dumping the table into a csv file, I can see no reason why the entire table (of any size) cannot be dumped to the csv. We often use PBI Desktop to mashup the data, then need to post-process it in some other software. Is there any legitimate reason why MS needs to limit the number of rows? If PBI can create a table with millions of rows, we certainly should be able to dump the full table to a csv.

• Tamsin Harriman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with other comments - this should be unlimited if at all possible, for live/direct query as well as other types of connection.

• sharathp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

does it export 150,000 rows when using Direct Query? I'm trying to export around 40K rows but it only exports 20K+ rows and each time i export i get a different number.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.