How can we improve Power BI?

Increase Export Data Limits

In late 2016, Power BI improved our export data options to allow exporting up to 150,000 rows to Excel from a visual on a Power BI dashboard for Pro users. If you require higher limits, please vote on this idea. If you have more specific requirements, please leave them in the comments.

328 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adam Wilson (POWER BI)AdminAdam Wilson (POWER BI) (Product Manager, Microsoft Power BI) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeffery MorrisJeffery Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are really limited on rolling this out due solely to this issue.

It is also odd that there is no warning (at least when exporting from a matrix). My data stopped around 38k rows (there was supposed to be 200k) and I only happened to notice because the totals were off.

• AntonioAntonio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definetively, improving export limits will become very useful when working with lots of data, since I need my team to action several reports for more than 150K lines. Totally love Power BI, but that is something Tableau can do and Power BI cannot.

• Luis LucchiniLuis Lucchini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Increasing (or removing) this limit would certainly take our usage of power bi to the next level with the combination of the efforts from several of our teams. Excited to see increased integration of Power BI and R!

• AaronAaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

will these limits be extended to Power BI Reporting Services as well. And also in the Power BI SSRS executable?

• Ira SaktorIra Saktor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The use of R programming with PBI would benefit greatly from increasing this limit to way higher numbers. 150.000 is a real constraint if you have to work with higher frequency data.

• Ashley ReillyAshley Reilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The export amount should be limited to the source file, such as the max rows available in Excel is what I should be allowed to export.

• Tyler L.Tyler L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to export a couple millions rows a data and it would be nice to allow PowerBI to export to CVS with no limits on the size. For an Excel export, the limit should be equal to Excel's maximum row limit.

• mgmg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Power bi , could be used as a great ETL tool. For data migrations. Its data prep tools, are excellent - yes , it would data migrations so easy. You have a wider audience./market than you know..think outside the box.

• samisami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be no limits. Developers/Self Serve users wants to justify the figures now and then when challenged by the board. Ideally, it should be admin driven and it does not have to be a synchronous process. Request should run at the back ground and when ready should prompt user.

• Philip VerlindenPhilip Verlinden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In many marketing/analytical related scenarios, you would have core business solution data (like Dynamics 365 Sales) made available in an Azure SQL DB, for example telco with 7 million customers. Slice and dice this customer set into 1,6 million rows so you can create a segment in Dynamics is not possible due to these export limitations.

• Mike ThibodeauxMike Thibodeaux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely think we should be able to get more than 150k rows but I believe it would be best if this was a Admin controlled setting so that we could adjust the limits so as users are not pulling too much data. I would set mine to around 500k but wouldn't want users trying to pull 2 million plus rows.

• TahaTaha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why set a limit? What's the thought behind it? Just remove the limit, it'll help all of us.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please set the export limit to the current excel worksheet row limit less 5 row header space and keep them pegged together.

There are many times when power users need to build an excel model off of dashboard data for future scenario analysis. Getting that data from the same source as the power bi dashboard would make this process much easier.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adam, does the same 30,000 limit also apply to Power BI Desktop and if so, can you please provide a reference link? Can the Desktop limit be increased?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.