How can we improve Power BI?

Disable/hide visual border on hover

Disable/hide visual borders when hovered over, atleast in full screen mode. It makes the UI look pretty untidy.

378 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Vanessa shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bill N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do those planned customization options include the ability to fully remove the visual header in Report View rather than just making it invisible? The feature added in March to make it invisible in Report View makes it looks nicer but the headers still take up real estate when you hover over it, which limits how your ability to make full use of the canvas (you can't have overlapping slicers, for instance).

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the update Amanda. As some people have stated, being able to hide the border needs to be on a per-visual basis, not an all or nothing.

• Kevin Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Consider building a team to address the formatting request versus the data engine. The 1 year turn around is inexcusable and as an org we lose confidence with each passing update.

• Jesper Barslund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Hide the visual header in reading view" is a step in the right direction, but this needs to be enabled as an individual visual setting or atleast a page setting instead of global.

• RyanV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Especially annoying when i add text boxes that have zero need to be expanded/pinned.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will drastically improve the look and feel of the visuals. Make it happen MS. You guys have been great!

• Daniel Bartley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would argue this complete now with the March release.

In practice, I almost immeadiately has users complain:

What happened to focus mode?
        I can’t export data today !
        I can’t turn on search in this slicer.

Can we please get a toggle switch for each visualisation and a toggle switch to set the default for the whole report l?

• AJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this is annoying. Sometimes I would like to place the visuals close to each other and the borders are then overlapping each other.

• Jenny Fahlstedt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this is annoying. Sometimes I would like to place the visuals close to each other and the borders are then overlapping each other.

• Mark Bearman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The hover ruins the visuals and hides some of the content - VERY annoying!!
        surely it can be an option??

• Ketil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since drilling doesnt work in Dashboards, this is actually a must on Reports.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Up! Up! Up! This is not a fancy feature request. It makes users really annoying and makes report design unprofessional. Just add another formatting option to visuals which allows us to select bar and individual icon visibility.

• Aaron Steers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - and I'd also like to be able to make simple controls "not selectable" or not able to receive focus. Our team use shaded rectangle shapes for grouping and if a user clicks on the rectangle itself, then it comes to focus and blocks the "real" filters and controls that the user wants to look at.

Seems like a simple visual-level setting for "allow focus" or inversely "disable interactivity" could easily fix this. The same setting would also prevent all the title bars from appearing when you hover over said visual.

(Side note: when in viewing mode, the floating titles are quite distracting, and they often block interactivity with the control directly above them. Would be good to have an option to disable this - especially on filters which are often crammed next to each other, and which have no real need for any of the "focus mode" or other elipse-menu features.)

Thanks for listening!

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just checked reports on the service and indeed the borders are now invisible which is a big improvement so well done.

However, I still think this can be extended further to given the option for turning on/off as some visuals still have focus mode options e.g. slicers which are unnecessary.

• Dom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is desperately needed, the borders look awful and make the whole report/dashboard look really unprofessional. They also stop the user from being able to select items unless you use a work around like sending the offending items to the back while you select what you want, and then having to bring it to the front again.

• SamRock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Worst thing is the empty bar on top of every visual consumes so much of real estate! It has no real purpose other than making the report look ugly on mouse hover and consuming lot of space.
        This could atleast work like a Windows Title bar where you have the Window Title, Close, Minimize and Maximize button. Qlikview uses the title bar efficiently.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.