How can we improve Power BI?

Change column labels/names in the visual

It would be great if we could change columns labels/names in the standard visuals (Table & Matrixes mainly). In our company we have a data warehouse build to support the PowerBI tabular model with the data. The field names in the data model are not the most intuitive to our PowerBI End User. It could be great if we could change the way the field labels are shown in our tables to be more intuitive and meaningful without needing to change the field names in the data model.

383 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So can we assume this will support visuals built on any data source (such as SSAS Multidimensional)?

Is there any way to hide the column headers in matrix and table chart ? If I am making the color of header and background color same , it is not visible but when I am printing the report
        those headers are visible in grey color. Can you please help on the same and also provide suggestions to handle this problem.

• Karel MoijsonKarel Moijson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great! So I guess this will work immediately with direct query (ssas) as well? Because that solves partially the lack of translation support

• KevinKevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news that you have started working on it! Thanks Amanda & the team.

To also take into consideration: sometimes the Labels names are not very clear, specially using quick measures.
        Example: % of CT of Count "label_name"

Not very user friendly =)
        And it makes the column label too long, even if we can now wrap the labels, it would be great to have it shorter.. Thanks!

• Scott HuntScott Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We accomplish this via the laborious task of rebuilding "labels" using DAX formulas. We reference the source technical name that then allows us to have both fields in the data model, the original source and the field we place on the visualization. ShortName = SUM(FACT[LongerTechnicalFieldName])

Renaming in the Visualization, while more flexible, will also potentially be more labor intensive then the method described above but it is a feature we would still like to have.

Right Click -> Rename effectively removes the source field from the data model and unfortunately does not support other formulas that may reference that field as a result. We do use rename to change ALLCAPS fields out of our control to MixedCase. It is also labor intensive to maintain.

• Michael BrönnimannMichael Brönnimann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Each attribute and measure could be assigned next to a sort order also a related caption attribute/name, maybe even with multi-lingual variations - like in SSAS tabular/multidimensional

• SadaSada commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!!
        This would be very useful for me to create multilingual reports.

• Eugene McLoughlinEugene McLoughlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an excellent upgrade, to be able to rename the Base Value when selecting in a Matrix table!! Please make it happen!

• KevinKevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, it is very important to have a clear information in the matrix.

Renaming columns should be possible, as well Dynamics names (with variables for example).

Example:
        column 1 = total sales 01/2017
        column 2 = total sales 01/2016 (vs Same period last year)

• CloudMonkeyCloudMonkey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important, and I'm confused why this hasn't been done already. I've tried creating columns/measures that refer to the original column/measure, but you can only have one column of each name (in the whole of Power BI) so it is not practical - We need control at the visual level. I am currently having to overlay non-transparent text boxes over my column headings to solve this bug.

• Bailey DavenportBailey Davenport commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, they just released a new matrix visual with the ability to drill down. When connected to the SSAS model, we already have the hierarchies built so this is very useful! The problem is, that when you drill down, the parent levels do not show values anymore. They are blank.

This is a very important feature that needs to be available. Flexibility to change column headers from internal lingo or internal system field names so that viewers of the reports can better understand what they are looking at.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.