How can we improve Power BI?

Subscribe to email snapshots of reports in *specific filter/slicer states*

Extend the email subscriptions feature, currently in public preview, to include support for email snapshots of reports in specific filter/slicer states.

More information about the feature can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/introducing-email-subscriptions-in-power-bi-stay-informed-when-it-matters/

556 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sirui Sun shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kiran Hosakote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have solved the problem of automated report generation and distribution. BI Helper https://bihelper.tech, our cloud-based solution, uses Power BI Service (or other browser-based reporting) to generate multi-page PDF or PPTX reports with user-defined slicers applied to all pages.

The entire report (PDF / PPTX) is attached to an html email and sent to a defined mailing list, with contact email IDs mapped to slicer values. This ensures that reports are delivered ONLY to the intended recipients.

Users can define a campaign, configure its parameters and run it themselves. Campaign monitoring and reporting is implemented to ensure a ‘sleep well’ user experience.

Mail us at contact@bihelper.tech to schedule a demo.

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really needed and will be super powerful. Please provide all the users a update at the very least.

• Tristan Turudic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Export to PDF and Powerpoint now carries the report's current state through... I wonder if this is a prerequisite that signals that this enhancement will be fulfilled soon?

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Workaround! From your app workspace, set your filters then Share (top right) your visual or page with yourself. Open the link emailed to you in a browser. Pin this visual or page to a new dashboard within your app for distribution. You can add multiple visualizations in this way. Now subscribe users to this dashboard and they will be emailed the visuals. The schedule can be controlled by access to this new dashboard

• Phil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update for when this would be planned? I don't want to implement row security per user as that seems a nightmare workaround. I don't want to make copies of every visual as that is a maintenance nightmare.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not already a function guys? Come on Microsoft. Step up your game please.
    Last time y'all looked at this was apparently March 31 2018, and y'all said that the feature would be enabled "soon"

• Anita commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very urgently needed feature. Otherwise I have to create a report for all possilbe divisions once - and filters would be not needed. Is there any update on this?

• Tristan Turudic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Nikhil Gaekwad thank you for your team's work on persistent filters. By when can we expect these to carry into email subscriptions? My organization, a Fortune 50 company, has a strong need for this feature. Thank you sir.

• Brian Pryor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is needed! Many users say a subscription isn't worth having unless it can keep slicer states. Please raise the priority of this one.

• GilbertQ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be awesome if the subscriptions kept the state of the report when it was subscribed.

Like it does when you share a report?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.