How can we improve Power BI?

Dynamic date slicer

The new date slicer is awesome, but it would be so nice if you could set a dynamic date selection instead of a static. With a static filter the user will always have to set the dates before the saved report makes sense - especially as the report gets older.

Dynamic options could be
YTD, QTD, MTD, WTD, Today, This Year, This Quarter, This Month, This Week and so on.

1,469 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    sdjensensdjensen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jon belljon bell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

although I have a date table created on our servers this would enable me to more quickly analyse our data. however consideration should be given for a start and end date for the year. we mostly report using UK fiscal years (1st Apr - 31 Mar) and our quarters are also in that format. most of the automatic time aggregation options I have seen only work with calendar years. a solution similar to TOTALYTD where you can specify the year end date would be essential.

• Dan MeierDan Meier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be a HUGE asset for non-IT end-users who are unable to make changes to the source data's table structure.

• Dan DayDan Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thanks for letting us know Kim. I would be happy for you to implement a feature that stops us using 'workarounds', as you have done with the current date slicer

• TarasTaras commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Power BI team,
        Please don't waste your time on this. The requested feature is easily achievable through a proper constructions on a dimensional date table

• Michael ShparberMichael Shparber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good news it is planned!
        I would like to point out that it should be supported by Dashboard also, not just by the Report.
        So, when I pin, say, Last Date, sliced visual to Dashboard, it should always dynamically show the data for the last date.
        I think it is important, since the objects in Dashboard behave differently from report once pinned
        Thank you

• PhillipPhillip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quoted from below

"This is easily achievable with custom report date attributes. For example, add a column to your date table named ReportMonth. When processing your date table always make ReportMonth equal to MonthName, except for the current month which has a value of "Current". Then save your reports with "Current" in the ReportMonth filter. Every time you refresh your report will be pointing to the current month.

You can use this same method for other types of reporting periods"

This is a great way to work around this limitation in the model and is a common practice. I would hate to see the Power BI team waste valuable time on this request when there are many other requests which have no work around, like being able to use a measure in the Min and max of conditional formatting, or beig able to rename attributes and measures for connected models, or being able to resize the text of a KPI!

• CoryCory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Adding to the filters to include the last XX days, so, the last 30, 60, or 90 days.
        Also, to piggy back on that, to include the line diagrams to wrap chronologically. So what I mean is, if I did a line diagram that shows the last 90 days of sales, it would go from November to January. On this visualization, I would want the dates to go in this order: November 2016, December 2016, January 2017. However, the current set up would put the dates in the normal calendar order: January 2017, November 2016, December 2016. As far as I know, there is no way to properly set this up without some time spent formatting the data.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea this is pretty easy to do on your own with a mapping table

• Benj Borseth CEO @ Aromantic.comBenj Borseth CEO @ Aromantic.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add to the options listed in the original post Previous YTD, Previous Year QTD etc so we can have a comparison side by side of the the current year vs last year same period without having to mess around doing custom report date attributes etc.

• Paul CampbellPaul Campbell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would bring the level of usability with filters in PowerBI up to par with other BI software solutions. Please implement this.

• Ian BennettIan Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ previous commenter - your solution would not be helpful when querying from large datasets. Trying that against something like Azure DocumentDB with billions of documents would prove to be a slow, very expensive experience.

Date is a common way to filter large historical datasets to more manageable size. Date is a universally recognised and well defined construct and therefore a good candidate for standard functionality.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is easily achievable with custom report date attributes. For example, add a column to your date table named ReportMonth. When processing your date table always make ReportMonth equal to MonthName, except for the current month which has a value of "Current". Then save your reports with "Current" in the ReportMonth filter. Every time you refresh your report will be pointing to the current month.

You can use this same method for other types of reporting periods.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.