How can we improve Power BI?

Dynamic date slicer

The new date slicer is awesome, but it would be so nice if you could set a dynamic date selection instead of a static. With a static filter the user will always have to set the dates before the saved report makes sense - especially as the report gets older.

Dynamic options could be
YTD, QTD, MTD, WTD, Today, This Year, This Quarter, This Month, This Week and so on.

1,007 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sdjensensdjensen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be thrilled if we could have YTD.

For those saying it is easy to do this by adding data to the report model - only true if you are pulling your data into Power BI. This is not possible if you are connecting to SSAS MD.

I simply want more advanced date filtering or even the possibility to write a formula for a report level filter when hitting SSAS MD.

• SergioSergio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think this can be set as completed. There is a lot of work to do. For example:
        - Select a single day with a calendar picker.
        - When you are using relative dates and select weeks, they always start on Sunday, you can't choose if wou want weeks to start on Monday

• Randy EvansRandy Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new date slicer is a nice improvement. What would also be great is the ability to select previous time slices like this: 1 week ago, 2 weeks ago, 3 weeks ago; or 1 month ago, 2 months ago, 3 months ago, etc. With this option, one can look at a current time period range (e.g., week, month, year, etc.) and then easily compare it to a past (or future) time period of the same range.

I agree with Marc that something in preview should NOT be marked Complete. I would think it's in preview so we can test it out and if there's nothing wrong, comes out of preview. Once out of preview, then mark Complete.

I also not only agree with sdjensen that the release doesn't match his request, but being able to just click on YTD, QTD, MTD, Rolling 12 months is much needed by the business and this release doesn't address that. This release gives nice flexibility, but still requires more clicking around for the user to get what they need.

• MarcMarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd simply mention that preview features shouldn't be marked as complete as they are subject to change - often without warning or explanation.

Case in point : export to pbix.

• sdjensensdjensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly disagree that the released feature matches my idea. I can't make any of my wanted selections of time with the new feature.

• SNUSNU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a problem with the weeks (our weeks run from Monday till Sunday) and the relative dateslicer selects Sunday until Saturday. It would be nice if that can be set also.

• MuratAksakalMuratAksakal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it should not limited on the date. on the dashboard we can get easly every selected slicer value to use the any calculation filter the data set, espacialy runing average values based on the slicer values.

• AferAfer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a very good feature. As has been mentioned by others - especially in conjunction with automated reports, where eg. previous month is always selected. Make this as dynamic as possible - so you can select whatever date range you want dynamically. As an example with an Excel like formula like EOMONTH(date,-1) which would select the last date of the previous month.

• jeromejerome commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please, support for retail and fiscal calendars (and any custom calendar)!!!!! lunar calendar is just 1 type of calendar...
        all the retail industry is using retail calendar, all financial guys are using fiscal calendars, all the education is using school calendars...

Can someone please tel me when will the numeric slicer be available for publishing?

• Dan DayDan Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's great news Alex. Is there any change you can make it have dynamic financial year starts? for instance as it is now the P BI Qtr 1 is our Qtr 4 and it confuses our end users. It would be great if I could have a financial year option where I could set the start month. Something similar would also be good for weeks as we do not have live data and always work a day behind so for us I would like our WTD to be a day out of sync so it would be good if I could also change the WTD range to incorporate this. Hope that all makes sense

• Lars KemmannLars Kemmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need shorter time intervals too -- last X years/months/weeks/days/hours/minutes/seconds -- the short intervals become essential for push datasets with Azure Stream Analytics, and there are a number of feedback requests on this site that are all some variant of that basic need!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.