How can we improve Power BI?

KPI Icon sets for use in table and matrix visualizations

Many of the Power BI Community have come from a background of using Power Pivot in Microsoft Excel. Excel had a fantastic way of using built-in conditional KPI icon functionality to add impact and information to table and matrix visualizations. The red-yellow-green circle icon set is valuable as an easy-to-interpret indicator of whether something is on track (or not) against defined goals.

This functionality is glaringly absent from the Power BI Desktop. There was a previous request for tis that has been marked as “completed”, but it’s still missing.

586 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Lisa OverlinLisa Overlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get requests for this weekly! Please add this function as some are still wanting their old excel reports that have these RYG indicators. We have to have availability for a margin indicator in tables with project lists that is conditional on Margin % ranges. For example if the margin is under 10% red, 11-20% Yellow, greater than 20% Green.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a data manager for an educational company, usng this tool is fantastic but needs conditional formatting. Please consider including this into PowerBI

This feature is definitely missing. Need simple visual (table, matrix) with possibility to add simple icons (up/down and icon for no chage).

• Joel FaltermeierJoel Faltermeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Work in online education company with many Excel based tools that include conditional format icon sets. PowerPivot/PowerView also supports 5 icon sets with KPI's. Please include all conditional format Icon Sets in Excel into PowerBI.

I work in a healthcare environment and everybody asks for trend indicators (green arrow up, red arrow down, blue arrow even)

• Paul TurleyPaul Turley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE at the very least give us the same capability we've had in SSAS for over a decade. KPI definitions are lightweight but present in Power Pivot and SSAS Tabular. Seems like an easy add for Power BI.

• WadeWade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, especially for service health type dashboards. integration of the image url's into conditional formatting would be a plus as well.

• Wilson SarmientoWilson Sarmiento commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. This is a great functionality in PowerPivot that Power BI is missing and it's absolutely necessary...

I hope you can add it as soon as possible!

• Paul TurleyPaul Turley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The KPI feature has been a standard in SSAS and Excel for many years. I was surprised that it wasn't part of Power BI from the beginning. I'd also like to have the option to calculate the Status and Trend properties separately, like we can in SSAS but just tie them to a hidden measure (e.g -1, 0, 1)

Creo que sería un agregado de suma utilidad poder incluir caracteres gráficos como datos de una tabla ... para ello quizás alcance con poder utilizar otra tabla de caracteres, por ejemplo, Wingdings.

Muchas gracias por la atención !!!

Dany

• Malcoim SankohMalcoim Sankoh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just noticed the absence of this feature for matrix/tables in Power BI. Conditional KPI icons is a highly and urgently needed feature.

This is high on my wish list - We need this for Power BI report representing project health indicators in a data set connected to Project Online - currently we just show a Text (On Track) - which isn't that cool...

Excel had a fantastic way of using built-in conditional KPI icon functionality to add impact and information to table and matrix visualizations. The red-yellow-green circle icon set is valuable as an easy-to-interpret indicator of whether something is on track (or not) against defined goals.
        This functionality is absent from the Power BI Desktop. There was a previous request for tis that has been marked as “completed”, but it’s still missing.

Excel had a fantastic way of using built-in conditional KPI icon functionality to add impact and information to table and matrix visualizations. The red-yellow-green circle icon set is valuable as an easy-to-interpret indicator of whether something is on track (or not) against defined goals.
        This functionality is glaringly absent from the Power BI Desktop. There was a previous request for tis that has been marked as “completed”, but it’s still missing.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update?

I could migrate 3 Excel Power Pivot dashboards to Power BI if I had this feature today.

Please let us know if this is coming out any time soon...

Currently the custom visual of infographics kinda do this, but sure is a little cluncky, getting this kind of customisation surely makes the visual more confortable to nom-analytical viewers

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.