How can we improve Power BI?

Connection to Common Data Service (CDS)

Please create a data connection to CDS as a data source. This is the database model behind PowerApps

63 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminAmanda Cofsky (Program Manager, Microsoft Power BI) responded  · 

Thanks for your interest in this connector! With this update of the Power BI Desktop, there is now a preview of the PowerApps Common Data Service connector. You can read more about the preview here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-february-feature-summary/#cds

Once the Common Data Service team expands the number of people with access to the connector to everyone, we will remove the “beta” tag and close the suggestion as completed.

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Maheed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried using CDS for Apps with Dynamics 365 environment. I found it very useful. But i see 2 areas that need to be improved/fixed.

1- Retrieving the Entity Field Labels rather than the field internal names will be highly
    useful, specifically for custom entities and custom fields.

2- The option "Add Display Column = TRUE" is not working with Multi-Select Option sets

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please confirm that Power BI will be able to combine CDS data with other data sources!! We built our pipeline to depend on CDS, but now we can't bring other data sources and can't edit the queries... that is killing us!!!

• Meagan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was quite disappointed to find that this connector creates a live connection with no option for imported data. This means that I cannot combine it with other data sources in the same report. Are there future plans for offering a non-live connection to CDS?
    Using Power Apps by itself is nice, but I don't see that many use cases where I want to report on Power Apps data alone. I can see lots of cases where I want to capture some data using Power Apps and then combine it with other sources in Power BI. That makes this connection to CDS essentially useless for me.

• Victoria SD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It must be possible to connect to my own entities... I think it's annoying that you are forcing us to use their Entities.

• Daniel Bartley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CDS looks interesting as Master Data Services reimagined for PaaS delivery.
    Power BI, Power Apps and Flow need to work together seamlessly for this approach to work.

Maybe I'm missing something. Are we supposed to export out the data to another service?

• Venkat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How to enable powerBI integration with powerapps.Active button is not highlighted in my poweApp admin center

• Edward Gray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to access Custom Entities that I created within CDS. How would I do that? How can I create new perspectives inside CDS to utilize within Power BI?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.