How can we improve Power BI?

Custom Viz access to the previous levels in a drill-down

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees.

This would let custom viz developers add thing like pivot tables and Breakdown Trees :)

[This idea was created as an offshoot of https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15844186-pivot-tables-and-breakdown-trees. Fredrik had initially asked for updates to the Custom Viz API, but many votes and comments were cast assuming the idea was just asking for the Power BI team to build Pivot Tables or Breakdown trees!]

7,781 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Will ThompsonAdminWill Thompson (Product Manager, Power BI, Microsoft Power BI) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for the comments and votes. We’re looking into what could be done here. To be transparent, so far our findings are that the infra to do this right for the long term is actually a very large intricate work item. So I cannot say when we could actually delivery this capability. Our current focus with custom visuals is to continue filling in the existing features into our stable APIs so that custom visuals are fully compatible version on version. This itself is vital work in the custom visuals area both for our custom visual authors/developers and for users who depend on the visuals day in and day out. Appreciate your using Power BI, keep the suggestions coming! We read every comment you make, even if we’re not able to respond to every single one.

82 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      ← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.