How can we improve Power BI?

Custom Viz access to the previous levels in a drill-down

The current version of Power BI visualsation framework does not support access to the previous levels in a drill-down. I.e. you only get access to the current level when rendering. That makes it very hard to develop visualizations such as pivot tables or breakdown trees.

This would let custom viz developers add thing like pivot tables and Breakdown Trees :)

[This idea was created as an offshoot of https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15844186-pivot-tables-and-breakdown-trees. Fredrik had initially asked for updates to the Custom Viz API, but many votes and comments were cast assuming the idea was just asking for the Power BI team to build Pivot Tables or Breakdown trees!]

3,048 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Will ThompsonAdminWill Thompson (Product Manager, Power BI, Microsoft Power BI) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you everyone for the comments and votes. We’re looking into what could be done here. To be transparent, so far our findings are that the infra to do this right for the long term is actually a very large intricate work item. So I cannot say when we could actually delivery this capability. Our current focus with custom visuals is to continue filling in the existing features into our stable APIs so that custom visuals are fully compatible version on version. This itself is vital work in the custom visuals area both for our custom visual authors/developers and for users who depend on the visuals day in and day out. Appreciate your using Power BI, keep the suggestions coming! We read every comment you make, even if we’re not able to respond to every single one.

97 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TasleenTasleen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without this feature we can't build our own custom visual with previous drill down.

• PoojaPooja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a very important feature - Qlik has it and makes it so much more useful.

• RoaRoa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One thing which stop power BI customs visual is this idea or else power BI visual will be the unstoppable. Get this feature & see how communicate create a wonderful visuals

• GhoshGhosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can build more Custom visual for Power BI user, however it require this function to get enable. please enable ti ASAP & get Power BI to next level.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even though the voting have changed but this idea is the most requested & very important for custom visual. My votes for this idea

• Lisa CoffeyLisa Coffey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I notice since this week that the number of votes per idea has been reduced significantly. I personally think that this would defeat the whole purpose of Power BI Customs visuals. However this is good voting option.
        Thanks
        http://driverwhiz.com/

• AnoopAnoop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is much needed feature. Please get it done ASAP, as this will enable user create or design there own customs visual from D3. Damm Do MS listening to our needs with power BI?

I personally think that this would defeat the whole purpose of Power BI Customs visuals. If we can't create more complex visuals. Please start & add this feature soon.

• Folker VisserFolker Visser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Lukasz and the Power BI Product Team,

I try to provide insights in the different ideas and their status on www.powerbicentral.net. I notice since this week that the number of votes per idea has been reduced significantly. Could you explain what has changed in the way votes are counted on this site?

Thank you,

Folker

Please Start this ASAP so we can build our own custom visuals & contribute to community

The only reason power BI might lag behind is this few very important feature missing this ideas is one

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.