How can we improve Power BI?

Disable share buttons

Option to disable the share buttons (Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook and share itself) in the embed code. I am using the embed code to post the report in a sharepoint page with in the company by this would prevent a public sharing.

526 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Adminnimrod.shalit (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) responded  · 

Thanks for taking the time to vote and share your feedback on our product.
    However, it seems that you are not using the solution that fit your needs.
    The ‘Share’ buttons only exists in ‘Publish to Web’ product, which is meant only for public and open content sharing.

In order to embed content into SharePoint, while keeping data secured and manage user permissions,
    Please use the ‘Power BI Embedded’ product.

See this article on how to embed content to SharePoint Online using Power BI Embedded-
    https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-embed-report-spo/

102 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ron Gilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really can't fathom how Microsoft thinks not allowing the social media controls (or their logo) is a good idea.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anonyous below posted a workaround that's pretty great. I updated it to hide both the 'share' and the 'fullscreen' buttons, since the fullscreen mode has the 'share' buttons again. My iFrame was 1200x700, so my margins/padding were a bit different, too:

<iframe src="" width="1200" height="700" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe>
        <!-- Put, this code after your iframe tags -->
        <div style="
        width: 100px;
        height: 36px;
        background-color: #eaeaea;
        padding-top: -50;
        margin-top: -51px;
        margin-left: 1040px;
        position: relative;
        "></div>

• E1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Shalit nimrod, the link you provided and the realted article only apply to ONLINE SharePoint. Many companies, including mine, have already invested in Sharepoint servers running on premises, and have a very elaborated intranet. The solition you suggested DOES NOT work on local Sharepoint, therefore, the need to remove those share buttons. PowerBI is curretly a VERY WEAK product for companies that have all IT infraesctructure ON PREMISES, and you guys should FOCUS MORE on those clients!!!

So how would a developer be able to embed the application in a coorportae sharepoint site, without allowing users to share the information?

• Luciano Santa Brígida commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This response only considered the SharePoint scenario and although its correct, it did not answer the demands of tens of other comments with different scenarios where Social Share is not viable.

Please review every comment carefully and consider reopening this demand.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a pretty frustrating response. In adding these sharing buttons, you added a thing nobody asked for and most probably don't want in a product that is still in need of numerous far more important things. Then, gave users no ability to customize them at all.

Even for reports I want to share publicly, wouldn't I want folks from facebook coming to my website and not app.powerbi.com? The whole point of social sharing is to drive more traffic to our ecosystem - not a single report hosted on a random Microsoft server. This actually has made me disinclined to use Power BI for public reports in our website because it just costs of traffic for no reason at all.

This answer only makes sense as a goofy approach to patch an already flawed licensing model. I default to Microsoft products because you guys make reliable products and don't tend to play these goofy games with this stuff. It's frustrating to see this kind of philosophy at work in Power BI - a product I otherwise really like.

I wish the team would just fix the licensing mess that's creating this approach and then start behaving like you're actually selling a world-class product to businesses that are smart enough to figure out on their own how they want to use it.

• Jan Franck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No this is a solution that only fits Microsoft needs - you want us to buy PRO or Premium to do any sharing at all. Not feasible for small businesses at all. There is absolutely no reason behind enabling these sharing buttons - if I want content shared in social groups I will enable it myself and not at viewers disposal. Business and social groups do not mix very well.
        Please find a small business solution before I give up on promoting Power Bi to my smaller business clients. Urgently, please!

• Riyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 vote.
        in some cases, we don't need to show the share button.

Sem sentido algum esses botões. Somente o Full screen, quem quiser compartilhar basta dar acesso de outras formas. Ao meu ver totalmente desnecessário.

Guys, here is a workaround:

<iframe width="800" height="600" src="..." frameborder="0" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

<!-- Put, this code after your iframe tags -->

<div style="
        width: 50px;
        height: 36px;
        background-color: #eaeaea;
        padding-top: -50;
        margin-top: -36px;
        margin-left: 700px;
        position: relative;"
        >
        </div>

You need to change and adapt position of the div, if your iframe has a different size (other than 800x600).

Hilarious that these social media links are there. Power BI development team should be required to create apps with all Microsoft salaries, social security numbers, birthdays, and passwords. The links would disappear. :)

• Luciano Santa Brígida commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not every report needs to have social share buttons. Because we are sharing on the web does not mean we want to reach the world of Social Media with this action.

Consider the scenario where someone might want to publish a report to the web only for embedding in a intranet. Or maybe someone might want to embed PowerBI reports as a wordpress plugin for site admins to follow up on company's data. There are many use cases for which this social sharing feature will not work.

• Dom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree - the option to remove the share buttons when publishing the report would make BI much more business friendly (for people who should have access to the data but are not authorized to share or publish it).

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to embed our reports in SharePoint to provide secure access, but the sharing option negates the security. Not being able to turn off sharing cripples our ability to make the BI reports available to our employees.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.