How can we improve Power BI?

Disable share buttons

Option to disable the share buttons (Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook and share itself) in the embed code. I am using the embed code to post the report in a sharepoint page with in the company by this would prevent a public sharing.

649 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ShivamShivam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of us. If you remove this sharing option i can embed this code into the normal HTML and store it somewhere in the sharepoint. Then use the HTML path and embed in the sharepoint or any other source.

When you look at the source, you will be able to see only the local path or itranet path where i have shared this HTML source. You need to go to the place and view source to get the link and share.

In this case proffessional people will not do all this and only the people who have intranet access can go to the file.

So pleaswe Remove this option ASAP.

• knoxcmknoxcm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sharing options in powerbi and awful as a whole. Why doesn't ms get that we may want to share information but not let people access filters? This is why we all want to disable share buttons. Web publish is the only method to share without exposing data you don't want everyone to see. Power bi embedded through azure is over my head and access level as it is for most manager types using this to share team performance with one person and not letting them see info for other people that is not theirs.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I heard some arguments about why it should be removed and they all make sense. I heard arguments about how you should use better security practices. But I havn't heard an argument advocating why the share button is on the report and why Microsoft won't make it an option. Remove the share button or make it an option please.

Also, it was mentioned that you can get the code from the HTML. I think there are ways to prevent this too. Not 100% sure.

• CasparCaspar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

although everyone can take your report once it is published to the internet, i don't want to encourage people to share it via social media.. plz make the buttons removable.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Share buttons must be optional. This actually prevents us to use Power BI internally right now. And yes I get it, data is not secure but we can't encourage our employees to share the data.

• TomasTomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with other posters. Although the data is not protected, it should be an optional feature. Although someone can take the code through html and share it, putting all the social media websites is like asking the user to take the data and share it with their friends.

• HenrikHenrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for reevaluating this idea! We get that this does not protect the data in any way, and that there's a couple of other, much better, ways of sharing reports. But anyway, those share buttons are problematic and should be optional.

• Kasper de JongeAdminKasper de Jonge (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I agree that this is not related to sharepoint please be advised that at soon as you use Publish to Web to embed anything into a page you are by default not secure. Anyone can take the HTML code and embed it somewhere else. Removing these buttons does not change anything expect it is not as easy to reshare. Please read here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-to-web/

If you want to securely embed Power BI content you should use Power BI embedded or use the Power BI API's to embed and use the Power BI authentication.

Thanks,
        Kasper

• Miguel IsidoroMiguel Isidoro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

need to make available a possibility to remove the social hyperlinks. That feature itself doesn't make a lot of sense most of the times. PowerBI is typically used to show sensitive corporate information and publishing dashboards to Facebook, Twitter doesn't make sense in these cases, not sure what was the use case where this feature would be used.

I respectfully ask you to reconsider your decision. It shouldn't that hard to accomplish this.

Thanks

• Cody Layne ChesserCody Layne Chesser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still don't understand declining this. I want to be able to use the embed code in our company web app. letting people use and interact with the report. But its only people who have access to the webpage, and they won't be able to share it to Facebook. That reason for declining this is not legitimate. share point integration doesn't reduce the need to be able to disable these social media options on the embed code. How many people actually need to post these kinds of reports to Facebook anyways?

• charles sterlingAdmincharles sterling (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, Looks like this is a suggestion is to eliminate the sharing button as it raises security concerns when sharing in SharePoint. This is raising two issues
        1. You should NOT be using the publish to web if you don't want this information shared....security through obscurity is NOT security. Removing these features in an effort to use this in a secure way is a non starter
        2. There needs to a safe /secure way to publish Power BI tiles into SharePoint please place your votes here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9355191-power-bi-integrated-in-sharepoint

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is impacting a lot of users of confidential reporting here, please deativate this option ASAP

• chrischris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Must have the ability to prevent public sharing seeing there are no other way of displaying dashboards on sharepoint!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.