How can we improve Power BI?

Disable share buttons

Option to disable the share buttons (Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook and share itself) in the embed code. I am using the embed code to post the report in a sharepoint page with in the company by this would prevent a public sharing.

501 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

89 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hilarious that these social media links are there. Power BI development team should be required to create apps with all Microsoft salaries, social security numbers, birthdays, and passwords. The links would disappear. :)

• Luciano Santa BrígidaLuciano Santa Brígida commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not every report needs to have social share buttons. Because we are sharing on the web does not mean we want to reach the world of Social Media with this action.

Consider the scenario where someone might want to publish a report to the web only for embedding in a intranet. Or maybe someone might want to embed PowerBI reports as a wordpress plugin for site admins to follow up on company's data. There are many use cases for which this social sharing feature will not work.

• DomDom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree - the option to remove the share buttons when publishing the report would make BI much more business friendly (for people who should have access to the data but are not authorized to share or publish it).

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to embed our reports in SharePoint to provide secure access, but the sharing option negates the security. Not being able to turn off sharing cripples our ability to make the BI reports available to our employees.

• LeoLeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This requirement is very important. Beside, we don't want users to know where we can get the source url by pushing F12 or view source code! For these 2 parts, I worked around it by using Citrix secure browser. But for this "share buttons" issue, I have no idea. :(

Any update on this? I want to use the publish to web functionality but allowing users to share on social media or to share a link would not be appropriate.

Seriously?! How many organisations would want to share their data like this. Default functionality should NOT to have those options available.

Thanks Power BI team

@Donald will you share the script/css you used to hide/overlay the sharing fuctionality?
        Thanks in advance.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Obviously an informed user could get the URL from the embed code and share it... but that doesn't mean we'd want to encourage them to do that. It surprises me that this behavior was made the default. It seems like it would be a trivial thing to have an option to turn it off when generating the embed code. You could even do it as a URL parameter. Please add this feature!

• Martin OrliacMartin Orliac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Microsoft PLEASE this is CRITICAL. This is a MAJOR security flaw when publishing in secure environments.

This will FAIL security tests.

This is not about votes but is a BASIC requirement.

It's so SIMPLE: all we need is an OPTION TO DISABLE!

Thanks!

• DonaldDonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I worked around it by placing a logo or text box on top of the maximize button and the share buttons as well as disabled right click on the website.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.