How can we improve Power BI?

Progress bar when publishing

Since publishing can take up to 10 minutes depending on the size of the file and upload speed, it would be nice to have a progress bar with an ETA so users don't cancel out of it because they don't see any progress.

120 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Diego Matus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rajan Balamurugan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Publishing the report is a process of uploading the file into power bi service and more. It is important to have a progress bar with time measures.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like a quick fix that will enhance the experience significantly - way overdue

My reports can take over 4 hours to publish and I never know if the upload is stuck or not. A progress bar / upload summary is essential. As of now, I can’t use PBI for this reason.

As a not so great workaround - if you use chrome to upload your file, you'll see the progress percentage in the URL loading bar when you click on any other element inside your power BI account.

• Jack Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have been sat watching a publish for the last 20 minutes. Don't know if it's just because of speed issues or it's just not doing anything.

Would be great it it had some feedback as to how it was doing with the publishing, like a progress bar and the current transfer speed.

• Niel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This one feature might actually make me move onto another product - I can't publish the main dashboard and also can't figure out why it's not publishing, so we're all sitting in the dark on a Monday morning.

• Niel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like a low effort, high reward feature.
    I have one workbook that's around 1gb in size and I never have any idea how long it's going to take to publish

Please can i possibly have an ETA on this. I have built a file almost 1 gig in size. It is very frustrating as i am not sure whether my report is still Publishing or has frozen.

Publishing my 350 megabyte data model takes a long time for me, would love to see a progress bar with ETA time remaining so that I can be rest assured that it's working. Is there a way to update the datamodel/report/dataset by simply uploading the pbix file?

Seriously, this is really important. Don't know why such a simple feature has not been added yet.

• HendrixSpirit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this!!! IT's so frustrating to not know an estimate time of how much it would take to be published

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.