How can we improve Power BI?

Single-sign-on for connection to SAP BW

Connector to SAP BW has enabled the easy access to data in SAP BW. However, scheduling the data refresh from SAP BW is not possible since the SSO feature is not available. This would be a good step to create dashboards using Power BI consuming SAP BW data.

116 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Julian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this SSO issue? I think it is a big problem for Power BI's adoption in SAP dominated enterprises

• Jens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey,

when is this function available for PBI, is there any road-map. For us it is the biggest show stopper.

Am I right, when I read the comment from Priya, that the announced function is not working, so when I try to setup a SSO connection to SAP BW with SAP secure login client and Kerberos as described in this white paper https://aka.ms/powerbiandsapbw it is not working?

• vishwanath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Miguel,
    When is this available.?This is the biggest show stopper for us to use this tool.
    We never want to build the parallel security at workspace level.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when will tis be available?
    i need the feature to make schedule auto refresh from sap bw data.

• Priya Jacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Have worked with the latest update and yet don't find a way to have
    - SSO to SAP BW using Win Auth. while using the Message Server option in PowerBI Desktop (throws an invalid connection string error)
    - SSO to SAP BW using Win Auth. from Gateway Service. Here, there isnt a way to bypass the mandatory User/Pwd entry though it gives you the option to select Windows & specify the SNC library. Does not make sense and Product Support does not have a clue after having raised a ticket with them.

-Priya

• Avijit Dutta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update regarding the possibility of SSO with SAP BW Message server connectivity?

• Rúben Salvador commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you have a deadline for this, as this has not been an update about this since January.

This is something our company is awaiting for quite a while now.

• Harry Leboeuf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not really a idea i'm posting, more a consideration hoping to find out how you guys are thinking about it, how it wil be implemented ..

In the DirectQuery mode, by Gateway, the users connects to PowerBi.com with his Office365 account.

In SQL models you can build a security system with logins and roles ...

But in many cases SAP uses its own usersnames and restrictions to data.

How will we be able to 'translate' the windows logon towards the SAP logon, because if the gateway is running with a 'See-All' user all connected users might also see all, in our case defenitly no option. As we can'd add any tables, calculated columns I don't see a way to play with the role-system ...

So, how will/might this be handled ?

• Ward Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Miguel, is there a roadmap for other single sign on connections to source data via the Gateway? Even if it's a rough estimate by quarter or even year, it will help us to communicate the direction to upper management.

The only that I'm aware of at this point is SAP.

• Nicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are actually looking for one analytics plateform and SSO is a requirement.
    I know that Tableau have now SSO, can you confirn it will be implemented in 2017 on Power BI ?

• Guy Lamoureux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If only you knew the power of the SSO.
    It is your destiny! Join me, and together, we can rule the BW environment as programmer and query !

• chris golding commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that single sign on for SAP BW connector is a requirement for a production rollout in our company. All of our applications, including SAP BW are single sign on. Without single signon we would be inundated with requests for manual password resets in our BW environment.

• Balaji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical to ensure BW data is not getting duplicated outside BW

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.