How can we improve Power BI?

Axis with configurable units (/Interval)

Configurable option of Units (Interval) for the axis in a graph. Now PowerBI automatically choices to units between values on the size of the graph and the data. As an example with a small graph and values ranging from minus -200 and +400 the unit PowerBI choices to use is 200. In this example data becomes hard to understand. If there is an option to set a unit on the axis, we could improve visibility if the automatic one doesn’t fill the needs. In the example we could set the unit of the y-axis to 50, this will increase the number of values on the y-axis.

Maybe the number of labels will increase on the y-axis and not enough space to put them. So I can imagine design team wants to make the label part dynamic? But the graph axis lines based on the value put.

266 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Benny van Heugten shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In general the Power BI dev team is SO much more responsive...but this one seems like a no-brainer. Why no sauce yet?

• darmstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is crazy that this extremely basic functionality is not available, regardless of the fact this issue was raised in 2016!

It is the basic issues like this that make people nervous about using Power BI over traditional tools.

Can we combine this request/votes with the below and get this issue sorted ASAP, please?
    https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17297545-add-the-axis-interval-in-the-charts

• Rajat Saxena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this functionality. It is a basic requirement to customise the axis which is easily possible in excel graphs.

• Matej commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very needed, I dont want to give my boss seizure when he will see two values on different ends of chart because there is staggering difference of 0.5%

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I try to be polite on boards, but it's been over two years. C'mon, put this feature in already. It's a simple one.

I have a chart that has accounting period on the x-axis (numbers 1-12) but PowerBI automatically selects the Major Unit (as per Excel's axis options for a chart terminology) as 2 instead of 1. This is obviously not ideal as accounting periods are quite a common x-axis value (at least for me) and an end user will be much more comfortable seeing all the periods shown. It'd be ideal if the same options as are available for an Excel chart are available for a PowerBI chart where axis options are concerned.

This is much awaited feature in Power BI . wondering, why it hasnt been made available right away .

• José Ojeda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please! We need this option. This is basic in excel, so I don't understand why it's not an option in Power BI.

• Scott Thornburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed, the ability to control gridline interval helps to make the chart more readable, and can provide specific business meaning when users think in certain intervals. As was previously noted, this feature exists in Excel and is quite helpful at times.

Please, please, please!! My boss won't take me seriously with these unfriendly intervals. He thinks I'm incompetent so I keep throwing Power BI under the bus. Sorry 'bout that.

This is something that leadership is continuously asking for. I can do it in excel and Qlik but not Power BI

• Joyce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like when is this something that will happen? Frustrating using Excel to create charts when you have a great tool in the making.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.