How can we improve Power BI?

Allow Table and Matrix Data Exports to Match PowerBI Visual

I have volumes of information to share with my teams that is best presented in tables and matrices. It would be a huge improvement if they were able to export the data from the visualizations and have the formatting in Excel match the formatting created within PowerBI.

This would be especially helpful for ongoing forecasting activities.

2,373 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

WALTER shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

424 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TimTwombly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems there is enough interest and urgency here that some sort of response from the Microsoft Power BI product team is warranted. An update, please?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature was a huge point of contention for my previous employer and forced us to pursue other options, and the situation is likely to follow suit at my current employer as well.

Seems kind of ridiculous that Power BI wouldn't have the same functionality as Excel or Power Query, let alone other competing tools.

Please hurry this along!

• Gary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I think it would make the most sense when exporting a matrix if underlying data was exported into one sheet, then a second sheet would be created with a pivot table already formatted the same way as the matrix (i.e. same fields in the rows, columns and values).

I would even go one step further to say you should be able to export the whole page to where a separate Excel sheet would be created for each visual.

I get tons of requests from users of reports/dashboards I create to export in the same format as the report.

• Mauro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's really strange it's not there already. Please add the feature, so much useful!

• Jeff White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a no brainer - clients see a matrix in BI and say can I get that in an Excel File.

• Andy Corson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have heard rumors that this is part of PowerBI Premium...I though perhaps people were confusing this with the export for paginated reports, which is part of premium. Will this feature be added to PowerBI reports, or will it just be available with paginated reports?

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is critical. There is no reason why the export should not match the visual. To me, this is core functionality of BI tool.

• Andy Watts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is imperative that exports show formatting as the info is formatted in that way for a reason. Please correct this feature.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree this is a must have, lack of this is preventing me from rolling out PowerBI to a large set of users

• Alfredo Melo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Esto sería muy buena opción para Power BI, ya que el usuario ve un poco molesto pivotear desde Excel.

• Bruno Portugal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very helpful! Because on large datasets where we cannot use pivot tables on excel, we are not able to replicate the matrix structure on a spreadsheet!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.