How can we improve Power BI?

Combine Title and Menu Bar on all Visualizations

Every visualization has a 25 unit bar on top with the "Focus Mode" and "More options links. When combined with a Title bar, this uses 50 units of 720 for the total vertical space on a report page. I like having a Title and the menu options but would like them combined.

320 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John Fitzpatrick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

File
    Options and Settings
    Options
    Report settings (bottom left)
    Check 'Use the modern visual header with updated styling options'

• KP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The space on top is frustrating, it interfers with other important things like Year selector( MTD etc) and filter selector. When we select them we see the un-used space from overlapping visuals wasted space on top

• JZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us this option, unused space is really killing my creative moves.

• AYS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should really be implemented, because it's really difficult to bring visuals to the top.

• Reza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot add header and trying to make a header with basic shapes or images it does not let you to cover the top of the page.

What Power BI team thinking when they do UI testing?

ugh Microsoft, please make this happen. the menu bar should at least be optional on a per visualization basis. come on.

• Enric Segura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does a line/shape need the menu bar? And why does a text box need the menu bar?

It's very annoying to have menu bars overlapping on top of other visuals, while hovering over visuals.

This is a huge hindrance on dashboard design. Take a look at Tableau's implementation. It's far more elegant. It only appears when you hover and in a very small box in the upper right corner with a dropdown menu.

• Kishore S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Microsoft can change the functionality, by making space available for the visual. The white bar functionality can be change to a mouse over feature which will popup and slide down, this will make report and dashboard look more cleaner.

• George Ramsdell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to build dashboards with smaller tolerances. I wish I could customize the amount of padding on each Object/visualization. I like to use textboxes and images, its near impossible to use these without overlapping with other objects.

For some objects it would be good if the "focus mode" and "pin visual" could be disabled when published. Do we need a "pin visual" on a text box?

This is one of the last few steps in enabling us to create clean, minimalistic dashboards/reports. A toggle button to enable/disable the whole bar is all we ask for!

The concept needs to be re-thunk. :) You can't necessarily get rid of the whole bar (b/c there is functionality in the upper-right), but the rest of the bar ends up being a bunch of wasted space, a visual annoyance, and if you're not careful, a hindrance to actually manipulating report elements.

This really detracts from the dashboard/report view. Please let us hide it!

Its been so long we are waiting for this to be removed. Please learn from other visualization tools.

• Scott H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hmmm, why is this still an issue? Should be simple, ya? ummm, any feedback Microsoft?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.