How can we improve Power BI?

ISO week number option on Date.WeekOfYear function

It would be really convenient to align the M function Date.WeekOfYear to the Excel WEEKNUM function to return a ISO 8601 compliant week number. Time intelligence properties are the starting point for a plethora of other calculations. And this "tile" is missing.

125 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HaukeHauke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It just cost me quite some time to see that the M-function in Query-Editor, which is generated by
        Add Column - Date - Week - Week of Year
        really behanved different from the function "WEEKNUM".
        It really is solved quite satisfactory in Excel.
        It should REALLY by introduced into M, so that I can append tables with WEEK-comlumns efficiently in query designer.

• Luc van de PlasLuc van de Plas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That doesn't seem to fix the problem:

Expression error: The name 'weeknum' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.

input given: =weeknum(date,21)

• Maksym KoronenkoMaksym Koronenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Jeffrey, unfortunatelly DAX function like M functions both returns incorrect week number, it's not ISO number

• Roberto CampassiRoberto Campassi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you very much for your suggestion, Jeffrey.
        However, it would be much better to be able to reference a Power Query table cell for other interim evaluations and calculations... before loading all the needed structures in DAX and without writing kilometers of code only to obtain this result.

• Jeffrey WangJeffrey Wang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If all you need is to add a column to a table, one option today is to add a calculated column using DAX WEEKNUM function that behaves identically to Excel's.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.