How can we improve Power BI?

scheduled export of a report to pdf

It would be nice if there is an option to have a scheduled export of a report to PDF. A nice to have feature would be to directly e-mail it to people so they are being notified of the latest report.

4,228 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sander shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminChris Finlan (Program Manager, Microsoft Power BI) responded  · 

We recently announced the ability to schedule PDF attachments for Paginated Reports in Power BI (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/e-mail-subscriptions-for-paginated-reports-is-now-available/).
We’re planning to have this ability for Power BI reports as well, but it will take time to put that feature in place.

For folks asking about the ability to print/export the entire table of data to PDF or other format, we’ll be announcing shortly the ability to publish paginated reports using Power BI datasets, which would allow folks to create simple paginated report tables to use for this scenario, as it’s not currently possible to do this with Power BI reports natively at this time.

389 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should also be ability to split a single page (tab within report) across multiple pages. Need to be able to include Headers and Footers including dates, page numbers, custom messages.

• Geoff Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Printing a report on a schedule is a higher bar than just being able to export to PDF on an ad hoc basis. I'm not sure why they would mix the two together. I just want to be able to export to PDF or print preview or even Excel in a formatted way. Putting it on a schedule would be nice, but certainly not required for meeting the basic need.

It absolutely critical to send the report as excel attachment. Please add this feature.

A multi page ability to print direct or print to pdf with applicable slicers applied on each page as the user chooses, would be a great addition. The fewer clicks the better. Even if we had the ability to add a button that condenses the amount of clicks without traditional "programming" would be good. I am looking forward to this. To Note: at my company it actually could be the pivotal reasoning to choose Microsoft over other BI options. We very well could be on the cusp of possibly choosing PBI (for the next steps to enterprise level), so time is of the essence.

• Pedro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hola,

Quiero pagar por el servicio, pero esta opción es indispensable para contratarlos.

En que fecha lanzarán esta nueva opción?

Agradezco su respuesta.

• Fedia Boughattas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been 2 years since this idea was proposed but I think it will take even more time to be done.
    Normally, it is a basic function should be present in powerBI even if it is an extremely useful tool for visualizing data and for generating drilldown reports.
    I think powerful reporting tool should have too the means to be visualized in the right way and specially the easy way because some persons are not willing to take the time to sign up for the power bi service or are generally reluctant to move forward with technology.

• Nil lo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have the need to get auto-generated PDF reports and export them by mail to a users' list.

Is there any ETA on this feaure? Nikhil? We have a very large customer just migrated to Azure and we have to have full pdf export and email delivery as a feature or we can't use PowerBI in the solution.

• Sharon Maxon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spotfire has this feature. We'll need to keep Spotfire for scheduled emailed reports unless Power BI can cover this requirement. Cognos also has a similar feature called "burst" which allows a report to be scheduled with a table of filter parameters and their related distribution lists (i.e. country = Australia goes to x@x.au.com; y@x.au.com etc).

• Joakim Sundqvist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use case: Need the entire report sent as a pdf to a pre-defined mailing list. You could utilize bookmarks for specifying which filter / slicer states should get printed. Otherwise we could just work around by duplicating pages, but we definitely need to print the entire report.

please enable export to ppt or pdf driectlxy from desktop version. Current way using the published report is limited to some pages only...

• Kendall Lister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would really like to be able to send a snapshot of a report by email on a schedule, preferably as an embedded image so the report is viewable immediately on opening the email.

• Deitete commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's a semester? Never heard tis term in the IT world. Is this feature being coded by grade-school kids in Mumbai?

• jess panni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be particularly useful to be able to set a report level filter with the export definition / subscription.

• James O'Meara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HI, This is great news. However I need this yesterday and therefore I need an ETC date. Can you please advise as to when you will have this available so that I can notify my stakeholders. Thank you.

• Michael Riedmüller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As more and more users move from SSRS to Power BI, this is a must have.

And look into data driven subscriptions and a good rendering along the way.
    The currently sent mail from a power bi subscription is not a solution.

Even a manual export to PDF would be really useful, it's a right faff to publish to the service and print from there, especially for ad hoc reports that only get used once...

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, needed now! Can you please advise what "this semester" means.
    Roadmap would be helpful.
    You talk about how SSRS and Power BI share code.
    SSRS reports have save as Excel, Powerpoint, PDF, back of a napkin and punch cards. Surely all you need to do is drag and drop this functionality from SSRS to Power BI.
    Easy! You could have it done by lunchtime.
    As the Beatles sung: Please, please oh please....

Would be really useful to have a toggle button on each object / visual to say if you would like it to be included when the page renders to PDF. This would eliminate the need to hide some slicers / filters that are useful when you are dynamically changing the report but become useless when it you are only looking at a frozen (PDF) version of the report.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.