How can we improve Power BI?

scheduled export of a report to pdf

It would be nice if there is an option to have a scheduled export of a report to PDF. A nice to have feature would be to directly e-mail it to people so they are being notified of the latest report.

4,237 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sander shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recently announced the ability to schedule PDF attachments for Paginated Reports in Power BI (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/e-mail-subscriptions-for-paginated-reports-is-now-available/).
We’re planning to have this ability for Power BI reports as well, but it will take time to put that feature in place.

For folks asking about the ability to print/export the entire table of data to PDF or other format, we’ll be announcing shortly the ability to publish paginated reports using Power BI datasets, which would allow folks to create simple paginated report tables to use for this scenario, as it’s not currently possible to do this with Power BI reports natively at this time.

389 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TFitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE provide an update. You started working on this in March 2018? It's now 7 months later with no update. REALLY need this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide feedback so that everyone knows the actual state of this feature.
    Kind regards.

• Teresa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide an update! Need this desperately or will need to move on to another reporting tool.

• Rebecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this? I'm going with the assumption that a semester should be at most 6 months and it's been more then that.

Please also make sure that you can scroll in the pdf, otherwise a lot of reports that people want exported will be rendered useless.

• Soumen Datta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can anyone from Microsoft light up on this matter pls. It's a critical part, need a response at earliest. Thanks!

• Mark.Winkworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nikhil what’s the update - and will it also PDF the background . I note the desktop version doesn’t render the background in alignment as it looks on screen so the PDF isn’t useful...

• Zafar Hakeem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if there is an option to have a scheduled export of a report to PDF. A nice to have feature would be to directly e-mail it to people so they are being notified of the latest report.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I’ve downloaded the most recent Power BI and I still cannot print multiple pages (if my report needs to scroll down) or move a report to a PDF with filters. Your response suggests it’s completed. Is there something I should be doing?

When downloading the new version of Power BI it suggests it's been updated to, but as far as I can see the report is the same?

• Kiran Hosakote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have solved this. Our solution runs on any browser based report (e.g., Power BI Service) and generates multi-page pdf or pptx reports with user-defined slicers applied to each page.

The entire report (pdf / pptx) can be attached to an html mail and sent to a mailing list of end-users. The contact mail IDs are mapped to the selected report slicers, ensuring that users only see their own reports / data.

Report generation and mail campaigns can be scheduled or executed on demand. We've done three campaigns in the past couple of months, and it works just fine with several hundred reports, each sent to multiple contacts.

Contact kiran@vegasolutions.in for details.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello. At my company I currently have a Power BI Dashboard and am emailing a PDF version of the report weekly. Having the ability to schedule a Refresh + PDF export and send via email would be HUGE. Also, it would also be nice if there were some way to get save the refreshed PDF.

Great to hear you’re working on this feature. Also vital for our organization. Just finished development on a report they want update emailed every quarter. I see your post is from March 2018. Can you update on the status?

• Chris Benham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update on when this functionality will be available ? - this will be vital for our organisation

• Joao Henriques commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until PowerBI have some kind of option to send reports (in pdf, ppt or even xls) automaticaly to a group of email I simply cannot use it... please implement this... its a basic feature required to any large corporation...

• Jon Fortner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a list of CustomerID and CustomerEMail, I'd like to cycle through the list, filter the report and send the result as PDF, an Image, Excel, or CSV or some combination of my choosing. This way I can use one report and data source, but send the customer only their data or report.

Thanks for implementing the Export to PDF on desktop app. Being able to schedule and email reports would be a great next step!

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.