How can we improve Power BI?

Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources

At this time, a gateway will not function properly if you are using data sources and one is online and one is on-prem. As soon as the online data source is added, the gateway is designed to gray out because Power BI interprets that it is no longer needed. I would like to be able to combine data sources from both on-prem and online sources together with the use of gateways.

861 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rflad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

162 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nikhila Gudipati commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anybody know what is contained in Phase 1 & how I can get more information regarding the subsequent phases?

• Karl Larsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’m a little confused. Are we now able to combine online and on premises data in a server gateway and join the two?

• Mo El-Rous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This shouldn't be marked as completed! It should be marked up as completed only when all phases ended!

Phase 1 didn't even fix the main topic, So please re-open this so we could at least increase the vote number as this is a very important feature that PowerBI MUST have.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this marked as completed? It does not fix the original idea that was posted.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't can switch the personal to the enterprise. Now it is enabled, but when you try to refresh, it is not working.

We are most interested in being able to 'mash up' these data sources. Please prioritize this feature. It seems premature to mark it completed, when it is not fully functional.

• roel matthys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with cbailliss. Closing this item while providing absolut no or limited info is not the way to communicate to customers who are willing to provide feedback.

"as long as you are not mashing up data from these sources" This is actually the key issue I am concerned with. This should not be marked close until FULL functionality is supported.

Can't use the data gateway when Sharepoint links are used in the model, isn't it supposed to be fixed?

• cbailiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is rather frustrating that Microsoft closes these ideas without them actually being completed. It's a repeating problem and just annoys those who spend the time writing feedback to make the product better. Certainly, closing this idea is not appropriate at this point, i.e. "mashing up data from these sources" is precisely what most people were looking for when voting on this idea.

• Admincharles sterling (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current implementation: All you need to do is make sure they have configured the on-prem source(s) in the OPDG and also provided credentials for the cloud-based sources in the Dataset Refresh Settings page. You should be able to refresh the dataset (as long as you are not mashing up data from these sources)

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should not be marked complete. Please provide details on what phase 1 contains.

• Karen Payne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're waiting on this feature as well. Are you able to clarify what phase 1 entails? And a timeline for the other phase(s)? Thanks!

• Kurt D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not working...probably because of this ; 'mashing up data from these sources' ??? What does this exactly mean ? does this mean that you can not use an online source and an onpremise together in 1 query ? if so then I think this should not be marked as solved because this is crucial that this works also .... when is this expected to work ?

• sdjensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand the reason for this feature request. I have successfully setup scheduled refresh on dataset using on-prem SQL DB, a web source (Wikipedia) and an on-prem excel file - as long as you add all your sources to the gateway setup in the service the gateway is able to recognize the data sources.

This should not be marked complete. Only a portion of this has been delivered and what was released created open support issues for gateway users.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.