How can we improve Power BI?

Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources

At this time, a gateway will not function properly if you are using data sources and one is online and one is on-prem. As soon as the online data source is added, the gateway is designed to gray out because Power BI interprets that it is no longer needed. I would like to be able to combine data sources from both on-prem and online sources together with the use of gateways.

815 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RfladRflad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone – Another update regarding this feature. We’re working through development and found a few challenges that have increased the cost and will push this feature release to the end of September (instead of my previous ETA of end of August). The initial support will enable refreshing datasets that connect to Online and On-prem sources but that do not “mash up” data between them (i.e. no Merge/Append or other query references involved). We will enable full mashup scenarios in a second phase, coming later this year.

Thanks everyone for your interest on this capability – Please stay tuned for further updates as we get towards the end of September.

111 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Vítor SilvaVítor Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, make possible to have oData and SQL queries in the same dataset, using only on-prem data gateway (old enterprise gateway). This will be available in the next update (end of September) ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately need this feature! Its hard to imagine this functionality without mash-up of prem vs cloud sources. Seems like they are having difficulty getting this done.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really hard to have this talked about as a "feature" of a future release when in fact it used to work.

• edhedh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to hear it is still being worked on. Honestly though, hard to imagine a scenario where things aren't mashed up.

• RfladRflad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi great to see some progress, looking forward to being able to accumulate values from "different" sources in a stacked column chart.

• Mike HoneyMike Honey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a bit baffled by the difficulties producing a gateway with complete functionality - surely it should just be a windowless version of the Power BI Desktop Query engine, triggered remotely?

Miguel's latest update sounds more like they are re-inventing the wheel ...

• Miguel LlopisAdminMiguel Llopis (Program Manager, Microsoft Power BI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Zachary - That is currently possible when using Import mode for SSAS, not with Live Mode. This scenario does not cover expanding capabilities for Live SSAS mode, but rather it ensures that the scenarios that are already possible in Power BI Desktop today work via the Gateway for refresh purposes.

• Zachary HillZachary Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will the 2nd phase mash-up capabilities include the ability to blend SSAS tabular data models with on-premise data and/or online data sources as well?

• SanSan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Miguel Llopis, I see that you mentioned the current ETA as end of August. Is there any change in the release date. As it is end of august now and we do not see the new version of gateway that is supporting this feature

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We spent quite a few hours on modifying SharePoint team site type, access rights, gateway authentication methods, ... because the gateway UI throws an authentication exception.
        I might have cursed Microsoft and wished corporate bankruptcy upon them in a weak moment also...
        HOWEVER: Get this fixed and - as usual - joy and tranquility will replace despair and frustration.
        What is a (corporate) on premises data gateway if not a gateway to all our on premises + online data sources?? Kind regards, Inge V

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.