How can we improve Power BI?

Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources

At this time, a gateway will not function properly if you are using data sources and one is online and one is on-prem. As soon as the online data source is added, the gateway is designed to gray out because Power BI interprets that it is no longer needed. I would like to be able to combine data sources from both on-prem and online sources together with the use of gateways.

1,125 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rflad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

194 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree this is hurting adoption of Power BI within our company as well. We have not yet promoted use or licenses beyond a test group. Multiple data sources are common in our reports.

• Anton Rozenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

April gateway update had nothing to add ... disappointing - the promise date on this was Christmas 2017. Any expectations from Microsoft?

• Lauren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to connect SharePoint online datasets (OAuth) and a JIRA API (gateway). This is a big problem within my org, and fixing this would enable Power BI to be used more widely. With this current restriction, we have limited use cases for Power BI.

• Yoeri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not functioning. Indeed using a merge queries between an on prem and online Datasource will cause the gateway not working.

Makes powerbi pretty useless for us

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same comment as everyone - I would LOVE to get an update on this. Not only does it consume ridiculous amounts of time to do manual updates, it is hurting adoption of Power BI. Let's get this done!

Also, If anyone out there is confused about what can be done at this point, maybe this will help. I can perform scheduled refreshes using both on-prem and online (Sharepoint, in this case) data by ensuring I do NOT combine the two sources in M/Power Query Editor. If I do try to combine in M, the 'gateway connection' doesn't allow for scheduled refreshes. So, bring both sources in via M but don't combine them using a 'merge queries' or an 'append queries'. Instead, combine them using DAX after the import of data; use LOOKUPVALUE() or something. After that, publish and go to 'scheduled refresh' in the Power BI Service. In the 'data source credentials' section, use OAuth2 credentials for 'web'. It works for me so I really hope this helps somebody out there. It drove me nuts for a long time.

• Mudassar Riaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS Team,
        Has there been any progress, or ETA on this. Have a real ETA can at least allow people to plan things accordingly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the current status on this? The last news dated from Nov, almost 5 months ago?

Microsoft Power Bi unfortunately still a beta product. and go figure this is an outstanding issue 2 years after it was announced they'd look into it.

Please make this your number one priority. It's an unacceptable limitation not being able to mix online and on-premise sources. I'm quite flabbergasted this is still an issue.

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm so confused about what works and what doesn't work yet with this. I have one report that works, the other one doesn't work with the gateway.

• Jesper Barslund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To confirm, will the recent gateway update enable me to combine data from on-prem SQL and online Google Analytics data (OAuth2 login)

?

Unbelievable that this is still not working yet. I think it is a major requirement to combine on-premises datasources and online datasources using an enterprise gateway.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.