How can we improve Power BI?

Hotkeys in Power BI

Enable and improve the hotkeys in Power BI. This would enable a much better user experience and accessibility. For example, [Control] + [Page Up] should send you to the next page.
Another helpful Excel hotkey is to move charts pixel by pixel with the arrow keys.
Finally the current Power BI hotkeys should be mapped to more sensible keys. For example, in Excel, if I press [Alt] then H (for Home), then S (for Sort&Filter), then F (for Filter), my selection of text will get filtered. Each letter is easy to remember and type because it's got a mnumonic that makes sense. In Power BI, if I press Alt then Y02 (for Modeling) then Y03 (for Y03 for new Column) I generate a new column. This is difficult to type (pressing alt, y, 0, 2, y, 0, 3) and also difficult to remember. Updating the hotkeys will significantly increase the usability of the Power BI.

156 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Dan Ahlvin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

after selection of first page (sheet), user Ctrl+TAB to move to different sheets (page) & Press enter

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to be able to jump between my Report and Data tabs quickly. Hot keys are desperately needed in Power BI.

• Matt Sones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great on the presentation side to enable key shortcuts for applying/removing the Spotlight, etc.

• lehuok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely! It looks like the current hotkeys are carried over from Power Pivot & Query when both ribbons were part of excel and other hotkeys were taken. Not the case in PBI desktop though..

• T Mandou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. It would be great to have hot keys keyboard shortcuts that would allow you to go straight to the Search Bar in Fields and Select those using keyboard to be added to the existing chart.

• Vivek Karumudi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes much needed feature especially the [Control] + [Page Up] for navigating between pages...!!! and also the other hotkeys will save me so much effort from constantly navigating between keyboard and mouse.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how about a keyboard shortcut for ANY of the buttons on the modeling tab? anyone?
    bueller?

• William Harding commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Brilliant. Hotkeys are what separate power users from the rest, without them it is difficult to make lots of changes to a dataset.

• Karim.Sylla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully support it. Keyboard shortcuts are the "key" enabler for efficient work with the tool. Please include the map of supported shortcuts in documentation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.