How can we improve Power BI?

Add a connector for MS Project MPP files

Please add MS Project MPP files as a data source.

Wonderful things can be done with Project Online and Power BI.

I would love to do the same with the MS Project MPP files on my laptop

370 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nico shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

76 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Adam Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be a great idea. Have my RAID log (pulling from SharePoint) working in PowerBI and costs (pulling from XLS in SharePoint), defect management linked in. This is the last piece of the picture. Until this is included in the release, will look into seeing if I can automate the extract from MsProject to XLS and refreshed, using PowerApps. That would stop the manual refreshing. Will keep you posted.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will this be included in the next release please? As a project manager it would be great to slice and dice project data to be able to easily customize my reports?

• Pablo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wonderful things can be done with Project Online and Power BI.

I would love to do the same with the MS Project MPP files on my laptop

• Joachim Schirra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmh, an idea nearly two years old, 224 supporters - and no reaction from Microsoft so far.

Not even one comment, nothing. An unusual behaviour given the feedback of Microsoft PM´s for the majority of all other ideas having a significant number of supporters.
    Guys, let´s face it. There will never be a connector for Microsoft Project Professional (the client Software solution). The reason is quite obvious and simple.
    The general strategy of MS is to go for the Cloud. The upcoming MS Office 2019 on premise solution will be sold at a Price 10 percent higher than before, because MS wants to "convince" the customers to move to the Cloud - and by doing so to earn more Money because they will get a yearly perpetual licence fee stream then instead of the one time prices they achieve with the on premise solution.
    Given this strategy it would be a waste of ressources for MS to invest in the development of MS Project mpp file data connector. For this reason do not expect any solution - and even more important, do not expect any comment or any reaction from MS regarding this topic.
    However there is a potential solution: You can export the data of an mpp file into an MS Excel file. Once you have done this, you can easily Import the data into Power BI.
    However, there are 2 drawbacks / limitations:
    First, you need to make a selection of the fields you want to export - you cannot export all -, second, this is a manual process to be repeated again and again all the times you want to update your data.

• Cristi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This connector would help a lot!
    Please consider it as soon as possible!
    Thanks

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.