How can we improve Power BI?

Visual level filtering in slicers

I have a large set of options from which I would like to pick some specific ones and use them in a slicer to filter my data.
Currently, this is not possible while it is an implemented feature for other chart types.
I'm currently using a 100% stacked column chart as a workaround.

2,840 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andre Cavaca shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m happy to say this is now complete! In the June 2019 release of Power BI Desktop you’ll see you can set visual level filters on slicers. There’s one known issue where applying a measure filter to a slicer in range mode causes the visual to show an error. We’ll release a fix in an interim update before the July release.

Thanks for your patience and your votes, everyone!

144 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike Honey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My workaround is to hide another Slicer (the "pre-Slicer") behind the required Slicer. But it's clunky and easy to forget about when messing with Interactions.

I'm struggling to see the difficulty in implementing this - isnt it just: "Make Slicers consistent with the Visual Level Filter functionality of every other visual".

For prioritization, I would've gladly traded this for the Ribbon Chart (several times over!), even if that had a Y Axis ...

• callum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Madness this isn't available yet. Lost count at how many times I have had to put page levels filters on to get around the issue. Unfortunately, It constrains the rest of the visuals, tables, slicers, etc on the page

• Fabio Correa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is a big pain for a solution that I am working on. Need to filter out options in slicers, in particular "Blank" values.

• Henri Aalto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh yes please, this is urgently needed! The workarounds are often slow and cumbersome, sometimes next to impossible to implement.

• Hikmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needed yesterday...lots of votes, this should have been done already.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand how it is possible for this feature not to be implemented yet... If I have a slicer with countries and another slicer for the stores in each country, the second slicer becomes useless as long as I can't also filter it to only show stores from the selected country.

• Sam Straube commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any other visual you can filter, why does the slicer not follow the same functionality?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a strongly desired feature and fairly routine for most BI apps. Please prioritize for development.

• Wildmight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a definite requently requested feature! Right now, the workaround seems to create a calculated column (with filters in it) and use it for slicer - however, it's not always elegant.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.