How can we improve Power BI?

Visual level filtering in slicers

I have a large set of options from which I would like to pick some specific ones and use them in a slicer to filter my data.
Currently, this is not possible while it is an implemented feature for other chart types.
I'm currently using a 100% stacked column chart as a workaround.

1,892 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andre Cavaca shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

119 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alexis Olson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It needs to be possible to do this based on a measure. I'd like to exclude certain options that don't meet a specific threshold.

• Chris Mlynarczyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a reliable workaround for this, you can basically just use a slicer on a slicer - after all, what is a slicer if not just a dynamic Visual Level Filter?

1. Create Slicer #1 for your users to interact with
        2. Create Slicer #2 with the field you want to filter Slicer #1 by, i.e. the field that you would have put into your Visual Level Filter.
        (Example: If Slicer #1 has names of all sales reps in the company, and you only want it to show reps in a certain region, then create Slicer #2 with the Region field. Or, if you want to manually choose specific reps to show, then you can even just use the same Sales Rep field in Slicer #2)
        3. Edit the interactions on Slicer #2 so that it ONLY INTERACTS WITH SLICER #1. If necessary, edit the interactions of your other visuals to not interact with Slicer #2.
        4. Choose the values on Slicer #2 that you want to allow in Slicer #1, i.e. the values that you would have allowed in the Visual Level Filter.
        5. Open the View tab, check the "Selection Pane" box, find Slicer #2 on the Selection Pane, and hide it (click the eye next to it) so users can't interact with it inadvertently.

Hope this helps!
        Chris

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very needed function that is missing in Power BI. We are working on the project which some functions are very complicated to implement because of a lack of filtering in slicers.

• Chris Mlynarczyk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just ran into this issue, but after giving it more thought, I think there's a fundamental problem with visual level filters on a slicer. How do you handle interactions between that slicer and visuals that don't have the same filter applied? E.g. say the visual contains values 1, 2, and 3, but the slicer is filtered down to values 1 and 3. What do you do with value 2 in the visual? When would Power BI display that data and when would it be filtered out?

I think the best solution is to give an option to make slicers subservient to the visuals they interact with, maybe a toggle that trims slicers down to data that's actually in the resulting visuals. I don't think allowing visual level filters on slicers properly solves the problem because it would, in the end, create a data mismatch between visuals and slicers that would be difficult to reconcile. Just my 2 cents.

• Pär A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please note that this request is valid for all filter visuals, not only slicers. As I'm told, visual level filters are turned of already in the development API as soon as you choose to develop a filter visual.
        Please also note that using the other two filters, Page level filters and Report Level filters are already available for all filter visuals already, so why not the visual level filter as well

• Robert Wolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very needed creates a lot of seemingly unnecessary labor to get around this seemingly simple solution. Though I have a feeling for Microsoft it is harder than it would seem.

• VG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support the request. This functionality is very necessary for those of us who migrate our Excel reports to Power BI

To make this feature really powerful, please also add the ability to add a measure as a visual level filter just like can be done for regular visuals and charts.

• Luiza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that the newly released Smart Filter Pro (must be pro) developed by OKviz might help with this. I've been testing it today, and it's answering my requirements. In a report I can filter by date and then the customer slicer will filter to only give me the customers available for the chosen date interval. Pretty cool, had to watch the demo video a few times to figure out the different capabilities. And I see that this filter also affects other original slicers in the report.

Very much needed feature. I am using Direct Query mode and hence cannot make a workaround of calculated Table. Another workaround of hiding a slicer behind another slicer works if u know what values need to be selected. But for me i need TOP 10 values, displayed in Slicer which is dynamic and in direct Query.

It will be good to connect a slicer with a visual and display the values in that visual, an another Idea.

• Marius Sveen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
        Would be great if we could filter slicers with measures as well.

test = COUNT ( 'test'[test] )

Then put the "test" measure in visual filter and say you only want to show >= 1

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.